[Rdap] Next Generation Data.gov

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 15 14:58:56 EDT 2011

Yesterday, I attended a workshop at the GSA on the 'next generation
data.gov'.  After a survey in the breakout session, I realized I was the
only non-manager who attended, and it was for the session on APIs that
they said was the 'more technical' session.  (I admit, I wasn't actually
invited directly, I was forwarded the invite by my ATR (the civil servant
who directs my work ... pretty much my boss))

Anyway, the basic summary is this:

   *  data.gov is being upgraded.

   *  they're using a platform from Socrata : http://www.socrata.com/
      It's basically a shared dataset hosting platform, with some built in
      tools for interaction & visualization.

   *  people will be able to interact with the data, not just download
      files, provided that as part of the submission process, you actually
      describe the columns, etc.  You can also pre-define common filters,
      sorting, views, visualizations, etc.

   *  there's also a 'social' component (one of those things that we
      mentioned in the RDAP 'Future of Digital Libraries').  They said that
      the owner for each dataset could define what level of social
      interaction was allowed.  I'm not sure all of what was allowed (I
      think they mentioned commenting and defining views for other people
      to use), but they could be moderated or disallowed.

   *  you can run a local server to expose your data using their API, and
      then just register it with them, and it'll make calls to your server
      to get the data.

   *  application developers can register to get an ID to use the API.
      it'll automatically rate throttle any that are being too abusive, but
      it also allows for dataset owners to see who's using their data, or
      for end users to see what tools have been built to use the data.
      (there was also a request for data owners to be able to send a
      message to all of the developers using their data, so they could warn
      of possible upcoming changes)

Anyway ...

They showed off a lot of cool features that'd probably be useful for most
tabular data.  They showed an import screen that had options for
'dataset', 'chart', 'calendar', and there might've been a forth, but I got
up too early, and can't remember.  I told 'em I had a few million images,
and it didn't sound like they were really geared towards that ... maybe to
serve the catalog of the data, but not the data itself)

I asked about putting NSF research data in there, and I got a kinda
roundabout answer about how it'd have to be approved through the 'normal
agency channels', and I don't know if NSF would want us mixing this type
of research 'data' in with their other 'data'.

Due to the nature of what's being done, I don't think it'd qualify under
TRAC, so you'd likely want a separate archival copy of the data, but I
could be mistaken.

They offer a generic API for serving tabular data, (Socrata Open Data
API) so it's possible that other people could implement it, even if you
don't want to license their product, or you could write something to
harvest the various data sources.  I haven't looked into the spec, so I
don't know how hard it'd be to try to translate between something like
IVOA TAP (http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/TAP/).

It looks like Socrata's updating their website right now, but I wasn't
given any sort of an NDA to sign, and I'm assuming they'd need some load
testing, etc, so once it's back up:

Beta of the new site.  (you have to register ... it let me in immediately,
but I used a '.gov' address, and it's down right now, so I can't test with
one of my other addresses):

 	http://datagov.socrata.com/

Documentation (for data submission, API usage, etc)

 	http://dev.socrata.com/

-Joe