[Rdap] Deciding when a Data Management Plan is not required?

Cragin, Melissa H cragin at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 21 22:10:20 EDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 8:57 PM, "Aletia Morgan" <ahmorgan at vpr.rutgers.edu<mailto:ahmorgan at vpr.rutgers.edu>> wrote:

Greetings – I’m working with PIs on reviewing DMP documents that are part of NSF proposals, and I am wondering about whether a DMP is needed.

The project involves staging a meeting with researchers in the discipline, with a goal that includes the development of plans for future research.

Obviously, there’s no experimental data here, and the output is essentially a narrative document.  The PI asserts that “This proposal does not seek to collect environmental data. A data management plan is not
required.”

If a conference is being organized, notes are taken, documents are being written.   Is there a need to say how these records will be developed and preserved?  Or am I being too compulsive!

Thanks for any thoughts, and if there might be a better place to ask this question.

Regards,
Aletia

Aletia Morgan
Research Application Designer
Office of the Vice President for Research
   and Graduate & Professional Education
715 CoRE Building, Busch Campus
ahmorgan at vpr.rutgers.edu<mailto:ahmorgan at vpr.rutgers.edu>
732-445-3344