[Rdap] Deciding when a Data Management Plan is not required?

John Graybeal jgraybeal at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 22 00:55:51 EDT 2011

Here's the way I think about this kind of thing:

1) You have done useful work by the time you finish (presumably).
2) To the extent the useful work was based on discovered, collected, observed, or otherwise modeled data, the conclusions are likely to depend on the those inputs.
3) If someone wants to evaluate your conclusions in light of your inputs, would they be able to do that?

If the basis is entirely on other papers, then those would presumably be cited in the report.  If it is strictly a thought process of a single group, then the report is the data.

But if the basis is on brainstorming ideas from multiple groups, or having people in the meeting each generate their own inputs, which are then collated and massaged, or it relied on results that were on-line and might be different tomorrow -- then it would be a 'best practice' to maintain the original raw materials in a repository (say the web site where your work is managed, if any) that others could inspect.  (They might validate your group's wisdom, or find great wisdom that your group missed.)  In these cases, I would say a very short Data Management Plan would be worth including.

john

On Apr 21, 2011, at 13:43, Aletia Morgan wrote:

> Greetings – I’m working with PIs on reviewing DMP documents that are part of NSF proposals, and I am wondering about whether a DMP is needed.
>
> The project involves staging a meeting with researchers in the discipline, with a goal that includes the development of plans for future research.
>
> Obviously, there’s no experimental data here, and the output is essentially a narrative document.  The PI asserts that “This proposal does not seek to collect environmental data. A data management plan is not
> required.”
>
> If a conference is being organized, notes are taken, documents are being written.   Is there a need to say how these records will be developed and preserved?  Or am I being too compulsive!
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, and if there might be a better place to ask this question.
>
> Regards,
> Aletia
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Aletia Morgan
> Research Application Designer
> Office of the Vice President for Research
>    and Graduate & Professional Education
> Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
> 715 CoRE Building, Busch Campus
> ahmorgan at vpr.rutgers.edu
> 732-445-3344

John Graybeal    <mailto:jgraybeal at ucsd.edu>     phone: 858-534-2162