[Rdap] Notes on 2012 August BRDI meeting

Joe Hourcle oneiros at annoying.org
Sat Sep 8 13:10:48 EDT 2012

Rather than just paste it all in, I've put it on a website
for those interested:

	http://vso1.nascom.nasa.gov/joe/notes/brdi/BRDI_2012_Aug_notes.txt

I only attended the first day of the meeting (Aug 29th), and the symposium;
I didn't go to the open portion of their meeting on the 30th.

Their program is at:
	http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/brdi/PGA_070714

Likely the most important things for this group:

	Presentations & audio recordings from the July 19th symposium on
	digital curation workforce development are online:
		http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/brdi/PGA_070217

	In September, BRDI should be putting out three reports on the
	following topics:
		attribution (from last Augusts' meeting)
		the case for sharing data
		science knowledge discovery

	NSF has started funding on what they were calling the 'Data Web
	Forum', but not might be renamed the 'Research Data Alliance',
	which in part is looking to put together an IETF-like framework.
	If I understood correctly, they'd then be soliciting RFCs-like
	documents of what different groups are doing, so that we can
	build on each other's good ideas.

	IMLS mentioned plans for 'regional data hubs', where groups
	could go to digitize their holdings, without having to invest
	in all of the equipment themselves.

	(not in the notes)
	BRDI/CODATA is going to be working on a 2014 CODATA bid.
	As CODATA is typically in October, and the bid's being
	prepared by Bonnie Carroll (an ASIS&T past-president), I
	suggesting that she look into if there were advantages of
	coordinating w/ the ASIS&T Annual Meeting.  Both Bonnie
	and Dick Hill were willing to looking into that.

Upcoming Meetings (sorry, not a whole lot of info on these)

	Oct 17-18, a meeting on digital curation in Redmond, Washington.

	Dec. 11th, a 'Big Data' workshop at the Library of Congress

-Joe