[Rdap] Job Posting: Research Data Manager - Columbia University
dm2764 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:10:55 EDT 2012
Job Posting: Research Data Manager - Columbia University
Reporting to the Director of the Center for Digital Research and
Scholarship (CDRS) (http://cdrs.columbia.edu/), a division of the
Columbia University Libraries/Information Services, the *Research Data
Manager* will work closely with the Office of the Executive Vice
President for Research, staff within CDRS (particularly the Digital
Repository Manager and the Head of the Scholarly Communication Program),
data librarians and librarian subject specialists, and others within the
Columbia University community on planning, outreach, and policy
development to address the data life cycle needs of researchers at
Columbia University and its affiliates. S/he will also work closely with
the Libraries Digital Program Division staff and the Metadata Librarian
on implementation of best practices in data curation, storage,
archiving, and preservation.
* Works as an active member of CDRS in a senior role, contributing to
the Center’s initiatives and leading specific projects.
* Works with library divisions and appropriate campus units (Executive
Vice President for Research, CUIT, Research Computing Executive
Committee, etc.) to plan, implement, and evaluate sustainable
services for data-intensive research across the university.
* Works with library colleagues to acquire original research data and
to provide training and outreach relating to research data.
* Promotes the use of repositories, including Academic Commons
(http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/), for data management, public
access, and preservation.
* Works with faculty, graduate and post-doctoral students, academic
and administrative units, and research centers to enable them to
better manage, describe, archive, preserve, and make available
university research data.
* Advises and trains faculty, graduate and post-doctoral students, and
administrators in writing data management plans.
* Participates in campus initiatives, committees, and task forces
related to data management and storage and in developing policies
for data management as part of the campus research community.
* Monitors developments in data standards and best practices and
participates in discussions regarding cooperative data curation and
data life cycle management activities and services on the local,
regional, national, and international level.
* Oversees interns interested in working on research data issues.
* Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Computer Science, Information
Systems, Management Information Systems, Information and
Communications Technology, or related degree) or equivalent
experience; advanced degree preferred.
* 4-6 years of related experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to
the management, curation, and archiving of digital data.
* Familiarity with entire research data life cycle.
* Experience with institutional, data, or subject repository systems.
* Proven ability in and desire for doing outreach and training across
* Demonstrated ability to work collegially and cooperatively within
and across organizations.
* Demonstrated record of managing projects and bringing them to a
conclusion in a timely fashion.
* Familiarity with common metadata standards, e.g., DDI; understanding
of ontology and semantic relationships highly preferred.
* Excellent analytical, organizational, management, oral and written
communications, and interpersonal skills.
* Master’s degree in library or information science or in computer
science, information systems, or related technical field.
* Track record of working collegially inside and outside of a library
organization to innovate and deliver new services in a research
* Experience working with projects involving various data and metadata
standards (e.g., Dublin Core, EAD, TEI, DDI, METS, MODS, PREMIS).
For immediate consideration, please submit a cover letter and résumé
One of the world’s leading research universities, Columbia provides
outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual
community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia
also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity, and cultural richness
of New York City.
The Center for Digital Research and Scholarship (CDRS)
(http://cdrs.columbia.edu/) partners with researchers and scholars to
share new knowledge. Using innovative new media and digital
technologies, CDRS empowers Columbia’s research community with the
online tools and services necessary to make the most of scholarly
communication, collaboration, data-sharing, and preservation. CDRS is a
part of Columbia University Libraries/Information Services, which,
grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth, are also
building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries are
committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation, and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and
*Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the RDAP