[Rdap] OR 2013 Hackfest, Dev Challenge and Workshops - Sign up Now

Dunn, Jon William Butcher jwd at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 13 18:16:21 EDT 2013

Open Repositories 2013 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada is
less than a month away (July 8-12) and is shaping up to provide a packed
week of presentations, panels, posters, demos, and user group sessions that
should interest anyone working with repositories and the digital information
lifecycle.

OR Workshops

------------

The first day of the OR conference, Monday, July 8, is dedicated to  the
Hackfest and workshops aimed at a wide variety of audiences. The available
workshops include tutorials on repository platforms, updates on technologies
of interest to repository managers and developers, and discussions of
current topics in repositories and digital content management.

For a full list of workshops, see the conference schedule at:
http://or2013.net/program/session-schedule

Participation in OR2013 workshops is free with conference registration, but
you¹ll need to sign up in advance to ensure a seat in the workshops you
want. Once you¹ve registered for the conference, be sure to visit
http://or2013.net/content/workshop-signup to sign up for the workshops
you¹re interested in.

And if you haven¹t already registered or booked your accommodation, be sure
to visit http://or2013.net/ to do so.

OR Hackfest and Developer's Challenge

-------------------------------------

We are pleased to announce that the Hackfest and Dev Challenge planning for
OR 2013 is also in full swing. We have already received 3 great challenge
ideas that will stimulate your repository spirit and generate a creative
sprint that you and your Challenge colleagues will not soon forget. If that
isn't enough to get you to sign-up, then the over $8,000 in prizes to be
awarded by our panel of judges may provide some extra sauce. Prizes for this
year's Challenge has been generously provided by the Digital Library
Federation [1], JISC [2], the SPRUCE Project [3] and the Fedora Futures
Project [4] - and we are expecting some extra surprises on top of that.

How do I participate in the great Hackfest and Dev Challenge? We're glad you
asked, just follow these simple steps:

1. Register for the OR Conference [5], or if you've already done that get
your friends to do the same.

2. Sign-up for the Hackfest (taking place on Monday, July 8) and Dev
Challenge [6] so we can make sure we have enough beer and pizza to help get
you started.

3. Read the Dev Challenge description and manifesto [7] and get ready to
participate.

4. Practice eating oysters [8] while you wax poetic [9] on your laptop to
get your repository elbow ready for the big event [10].

5. Watch for the release of the OR 2013 Hackfest and Dev Challenge Ideas
[11].

6. Do your best to attend the all-day Hackfest on Monday, which will kick
off the Challenge and help build a creative team that will stay with you for
the rest of your career.

7. Take lots of pictures at the Challenge with you and your buds so you can
send them to you mom and dad. This is the most important part, but must be
preceded by steps 1-6 above to be the most effective.

[1] http://www.diglib.org/

[2] http://www.jisc.ac.uk/

[3] http://www.dpconline.org/advocacy/spruce

[4] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF

[5] http://or2013.net/registration

[6] http://or2013.net/content/workshop-signup

[7] http://or2013.net/content/or-2013-dev-challenge-event

[8] http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-oysters

[9] http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/wax-poetic. html

[10] http://devcsi.ukoln.ac.uk/developer-challenges/

[11] Coming soon...

We look forward to seeing you in Charlottetown!

Mark Leggott, OR2013 Conference Chair

Sarah Shreeves, OR2013 Program Co-Chair

Jon Dunn, OR2013 Program Co-Chair