[Rdap] Fwd: Final version of press release

Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at fedora-commons.org
Fri May 17 08:53:31 EDT 2013

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*
 *
May 17, 2013
Contact: Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at duraspace.org
Read it online: http://bit.ly/YOlSyI

*Fedora Futures Project Welcomes New Technical Lead*
*
*
*Winchester, MA * The DuraSpace organization and the Fedora Futures Project
are pleased to announce that Andrew Woods will take over as the new
Technical Lead for Fedora effective May 15, 2013. In this role he will
provide technical leadership for the Fedora Futures Project. Woods joined
the DuraSpace organization in early 2009 as a Fedora committer. Since then
he has helped establish the D.C. Area Fedora Users Group, been a project
co-lead on DuraCloud, and worked in various technical and advisory
capacities within DPN, APTrust, Chronopolis, and NDSA.

The Fedora Futures project is currently underway with Edwin Shin,
MediaShelf, coordinating development leading up to a planned alpha Fedora 4
release this summer. Recent work has been focused on running Fedora in a
cluster to provide greater durability and performance.

"We are thrilled to have Andrew Woods on board as our new Technical Lead
for Fedora. Andrew brings impressive technical and leadership skills to
Fedora that will be invaluable in advancing the goals of our Fedora Futures
Project. We also want to thank Edwin Shin who served as Interim Project
Manager and was instrumental in advancing the development of a planned
alpha Fedora 4 release, expected in Summer 2013." said Robert
Cartolano, AVP for Digital Programs and Technology Services Columbia
University Libraries/Information Services.

The fast-moving Fedora Futures initiative was started by members of the
Fedora community to preserve the strengths of the Fedora architecture and
community, address the need for robust and full-featured repository
services, and to provide a successful platform for the next 5-10 years.
Read more on the Fedora Futures blog:
http://fcrepo.org/blog/2013/03/18/welcome-to-the-future/

Michele Kimpton, CEO DuraSpace said, "Andrew Woods is the best possible
choice to lead Fedora into the next generation of services.  He has
established himself in the community as a respected technical contributor
and collaborator on projects such as APTrust and DPN.  His expertise and
knowledge in the repository application space and deep knowledge of Fedora
will make his transition to his new role seamless."

The Fedora Futures Steering Committee is looking for project sponsors and
in-kind contributions of developer time to meet project goals over the next
three years. If you are interested in finding out about how to get involved
please contact Jonathan Markow at jjmarkow at duraspace.org.

*About DuraSpace*
*
*
DuraSpace (http://duraspace.org) is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit
organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that
promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with
academic, scientific, cultural, and technology communities by supporting
projects and creating services to help ensure that current and future
generations have access to our collective digital heritage. Our values are
expressed in our organizational byline, "Committed to our digital future."

DuraSpace supported open technology projects provide long-term, durable
access to and discovery of digital assets. DSpace <http://dspace.org> and
Fedora <http://fedora-commons.org> are two of the most widely-used
repository solutions in the world with more than fifteen hundred
institutions that use and help develop these open source software
repository platforms.

DuraSpace also provides innovative solutions for the digital preservation
community to meet today’s access and preservation challenges with
subscription services that include DuraCloud <http://duracloud.org>, an
easy and cost effective way to archive, share and manage content in the
cloud and DSpaceDirect <http://dspacedirect.org>, a low-cost, hosted
repository service due to launch in the summer of 2013.

--
Carol Minton Morris
DuraSpace