[Rdap] Requesting permission to make cultural heritage data OA

Konkiel, Stacy Rose skonkiel at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 19 11:26:45 EST 2013

Daureen & Lynn,

Thanks very much. I believe my researcher knows Eric Kansa, though she didn't know OpenContext very well when we met. Upon exploring the site, she agrees that it is a great resource, but she is still at the stage where she needs to renegotiate the terms of her contract-the data she's already collected is covered by a contract that doesn't take OA into account.

The country she is working within is one where archaeological objects are considered property of the national government, not the landowner or local community. There's tension because of that between the community in which she does her research and the gov, which grants her permission to conduct her research. Unfortunately, she's stuck in the middle.

All of this is to say that she's in a difficult position to begin with, politically speaking, and that makes her hesitant to renegotiate her contract with the government to include Open Data, though she agrees that by opening up the data, it could raise the country's profile with respect to its cultural heritage. She (and I) are hoping to find examples where researchers successfully negotiated for the right to make data open. It's unclear from the OpenContext website how permissions were secured from local governments to make that data open. IPINCH (http://www.sfu.ca/ipinch/) doesn't seem to directly address this issue.

I'll have my researcher touch base with Eric and Dr. Parker at UTARP to get example language they may have used in contracts to make their data OA, and will share that information if possible. In the meantime, if others know of already published reports or articles outlining this challenge (and how one can address it), I'd be grateful if they could share it here.

Best,
Stacy Konkiel
Science Data Management Librarian
Indiana University