[Rdap] POSITION AVAILABLE: VIVO Project Director at DuraSpace
Carol Minton Morris
cmmorris at fedora-commons.org
Mon Sep 23 07:12:10 EDT 2013
*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*
Sept. 23, 2013
Contact: jobs at duraspace.org
Read it online: http://duraspace.org/jobs
*Project Director, VIVO*
DuraSpace is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Project Director for the
open source VIVO project (www.vivoweb.org), a world-wide community focused
on creating software tools, ontologies, and services. The VIVO Project
Director will have the opportunity to play a major role in a collaborative
movement that will shape the future of research.
VIVO is an open source semantic web application for integrating and sharing
information about researchers and their activities and outputs at a single
institution while supporting discovery of related work and expertise across
a distributed network of institutions.
The VIVO Project Director is a new, full-time position. The Project
Director, accountable to the VIVO Executive Committee and employed by
DuraSpace, will lead the VIVO community in accomplishing its goals by
fulfilling the following responsibilities:
*Provide strategic vision*
● Work closely with the international VIVO community to develop and
articulate amstrategic vision for VIVO, conveying its value and impact
● Guide the VIVO community in the development of near-term and long-term
● Help develop and gain support and participation among stakeholders for a
business model that will sustain the work of the VIVO project
● Actively promote VIVO and the wider cause of research discovery and
access to the international scholarly community and other key stakeholders
● Be an effective spokesperson for the project through outreach, public
speaking, and ￼advocacy.
● Build and oversee a dynamic and effective core team, augmented by
contributors from collaborating institutions, government agencies, and
● Oversee projects and staff to ensure timely implementation of products
● Plan and manage budgets, fundraising, and business operations such as
managed services providing revenue for the project. Provide regular status
and financial reports to the executive team, DuraSpace, and sponsors. Fund
raising is especially important at this stage of VIVO’s evolution
● Seek out and engage in collaborations that will leverage resources and
expertise for the advancement of the project.
● International outreach to institutions, government organizations,
sponsors, funding agencies, and others
● With the Executive Committee and DuraSpace, solicit new institutional and
corporate sponsors as well as providers of services to the VIVO community
● Help recruit new adopters and contributors.
*Oversee Software Projects*
● Help project leads to gather requirements, understand use cases, plan
● Help prioritize work
● Substantially contribute to and articulate the vision for the VIVO
software and ontology and related applications
● Help establish and communicate the long-term roadmap.
*Marketing and Communications*
● Key role in developing marketing strategy and materials for the project
● Key role in communications with stakeholders, contributors, sponsors,
partners, service ￼providers, etc.
● Coordinate representation for VIVO community at key conferences and
workshops. Skills and Competencies
● A Masters degree with at least 7-10 years of progressively increasing
responsibility in a research discipline and/or business, or equivalent work
● Experience working with technology project teams; ability to communicate
effectively with technical staff
● Excellent management skills and demonstrated success managing teams
working in disparate locations
● Entrepreneurial skills, especially the ability to successfully promote
innovative concepts and enroll stakeholders in new solutions
● Strong ability to think and act strategically, and demonstrated success
at bringing concepts to realization
● Able to communicate effectively both in person and virtually using a
variety of media and technologies.
● Experience working with VIVO
● Experience in the areas of research discovery, collaboration, and open
● Experience communicating with an international community of users,
stakeholders, sponsors, and partners
● Analytical skills in crafting successful funding and business models for
● Fund raising skills in a non-profit domain.
DuraSpace (duraspace.org) is a small not-for-profit organization providing
leadership and innovation for open source technologies that promote
durable, persistent access to our digital culture. We collaborate with
academic, scientific, cultural, and technology communities by
supporting projects and creating services to help ensure that current and
future generations may discover and access our collective digital heritage.
DuraSpace is an equal opportunity employer. Non-traditional applicants are
welcome. We offer health and retirement benefits. Salary is commensurate
with experience. We are headquartered in the Boston MA area, but most of
our employees work virtually and are located around the USA. We are a true
believer in the virtual office and use a variety of online tools to
facilitate our ability to work as a collaborative and collegial team.
Extensive travel is expected for this position, both within the US and
To Apply: A cover letter is required for consideration for this position
and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter
should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary
requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to
this position. Please email the cover letter and resume to
vivojobs at duraspace.org.
Carol Minton Morris
Director of Marketing and Communications
cmmorris at DuraSpace.org
Twitter at DuraSpace <http://twitter.com/duraspace>
Twitter at DuraCloud <http://twitter.com/duracloud>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the RDAP