[Rdap] Data Focused Preconference at ALA Annual, June 27 2014

Abigail Goben abigailgoben at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:13:44 EDT 2014

Are you coming to ALA Annual? Are you looking for some practical data
skills? Do you have coworkers going who could use some hands on time with
data to improve their skills?

Do you have a non-sensitive data set around your library that you keep
saying that you'd like to DO something with?

Join Sarah Sheehan, Nathan Putnam and Abigail Goben (me!) on Friday, June
27 in Las Vegas for:

"Managing Data: Tools for Plans and Data Scrubbing"
As data continues to come to the fore, new tools are becoming available for
librarians to assist faculty and use with their own data. This
preconference will focus on the DMPTool and OpenRefine. The DMPTool will be
presented to demonstrate customization features, review data management
plans, best and worst practices and writing a data plan for a data set a
library may collect. OpenRefine will be demonstrated with sample data to
show potential use with library data sets and more of the data lifecycle
process. We'll also cover applying applicable metadata.

http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2014/03/lita-preconferences-held-ala-annual

Along with exploring the specific tools, this preconference will be about
getting your hands dirty with an actual library data set. While we'll have
a sample data set, attendees are encouraged to look around their library
for non-sensitive data and bring it to give us even more robust examples.

I'm looking forward to a rousing discussion of the opportunities and
pitfalls of sharing library data.

Please let Sarah or I know if you have any questions! We look forward to
seeing you in Vegas.

--
Abigail Goben, MLS
abigailgoben at gmail.com