[Rdap] limits and charges for research data

Minor, David dminor at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:07:17 EDT 2014

Hi Daureen - these questions are very much on our minds. We’ve been kicking around several financial models over the last few years. Our current answers to your questions:

1. We don’t currently charge researchers. Whenever we’ve brought up the idea of charging, the conversation almost immediately stops. We are working toward a broader campus-funded or subsidized model that would allow us to work with research collections in a fuller way. (And the campus is spinning up a “free” basic storage service for everyone. But it’s definitely *not* a repository.)

2. The campus financial model includes the things you mention, as well as long-term preservation.

3 and 4. We don’t have a file size limit, but likely will. I’m going to guess we’ll have a limit to the “free” version (dunno, maybe up to 10-15 TBs) and then a hard limit of "no we just can’t deal with that much," maybe 100+TB?). Note that we can take this amount of content into our preservation environment, with all the appropriate caveats about how long it takes to move data around.

5. Most of our collections are in the 500GB range, with some spiking up to 5-6TBs. People keep telling us they have massive amounts of big data, but once they understand what curation and preservation actually mean, the final amount is much smaller.

Hope that’s helpful.

David.

David Minor
Program Director for Research Data Curation
Chronopolis Program Manager
UC San Diego Library