[Rdap] limits and charges for research data

Daureen Nesdill daureen.nesdill at utah.edu
Wed Aug 13 19:06:41 EDT 2014

Hi, Here is a roundup of information I received and found. I’ll let you know what we end up doing sometime in October.
Daureen

From Amanda Rinehart
Data Management Services Librarian
The Ohio State University
These are questions that have often come up in my conversations, and we have very little to go on for future planning. Would you be so kind as to distribute the answers to your questions? The only guidance I have found from other institutions is listed below:

Purdue’s pricing: https://purr.purdue.edu/about/pricing
Princeton’s pricing: http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/about/DataSpacePnG.pdf “Beginning
on
July
1,
2009 the
charge
per
Megabyte
of
storage
will
be
$0.006
with
minimum
charge
of

$0.60
per
submission.”
Does anyone know of others?

From David Minor
Program Director for Research Data Curation Chronopolis Program Manager UC San Diego Library

Hi Daureen - these questions are very much on our minds. We’ve been kicking around several financial models over the last few years. Our current answers to your questions:

1. We don’t currently charge researchers. Whenever we’ve brought up the idea of charging, the conversation almost immediately stops. We are working toward a broader campus-funded or subsidized model that would allow us to work with research collections in a fuller way. (And the campus is spinning up a “free” basic storage service for everyone. But it’s definitely *not* a repository.)

2. The campus financial model includes the things you mention, as well as long-term preservation.

3 and 4. We don’t have a file size limit, but likely will. I’m going to guess we’ll have a limit to the “free” version (dunno, maybe up to 10-15 TBs) and then a hard limit of "no we just can’t deal with that much," maybe 100+TB?). Note that we can take this amount of content into our preservation environment, with all the appropriate caveats about how long it takes to move data around.

5. Most of our collections are in the 500GB range, with some spiking up to 5-6TBs. People keep telling us they have massive amounts of big data, but once they understand what curation and preservation actually mean, the final amount is much smaller.
Hope that’s helpful.

From Willow Dressel
Plasma Physics/E-Science Librarian
Princeton University
Here is a paper on the current funding model for Princeton’s dspace repository DataSPACE. http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/bitstream/88435/dsp01w6634361k/1/DataSpaceFundingModel_20100827.pdf

Not a response but related:
The 4C project is delighted to announce that the beta version of the ‘Curation Costs Exchange’<http://www.curationexchange.org/> (CCEx) website has been released.

Helping organisations to make smarter investments in digital curation by enabling knowledge transfer and cost comparisons between organisations of all types, the CCEx is an online community platform for the exchange of curation cost information.

“The value we can all derive from the CCEx depends entirely on the willingness of organisations to share their cost data, and on their understanding of the benefits that sharing will bring about,” observes Alex Thirifays of the Danish National Archive (DNA). “The more costs are shared, the more we can all learn about making smarter investments in digital curation.”

A crowd-sourced driven database and library of curation cost information, the CCEx uses the costs data it gathers to provide automatic generation of results for the purposes of self-assessment, cost comparisons with peers and insights into the financial accounting and activity costs of other organisations; supporting the 4C Project’s vision of creating a better understanding of digital curation costs through collaboration.

Beta testing will take place between the 12th August and 15th September and will involve invited testers, but the 4C Project welcomes feedback from all users.

“Anyone with an interest in or a need for a deeper understanding of the costs of preserving your digital material can try out the CCEx and let us know what they think,” encourages Luis Faria of KEEP Solutions in Portugal who has led the team charged with developing the CCEx.

All comments and any cost data shared with the 4C project will be treated confidentially and will be used solely for the purposes of refining the performance of the CCEx.

In order to take part in the CCEx beta-testing, visit www.curationexchange.org<http://www.curationexchange.org/> and get started.

All the best,
Joy

Joy Davidson
Associate Director
Digital Curation Centre (DCC)

And also –
Thanks to the support of the POWRR Project <http://digitalpowrr.niu.edu/> (an IMLS grant-funded project)  a new version of the Data Accessioner (1.0) is now available in beta. Major changes include replacing the custom tool adapters w/ FITS and the ability to add Dublin Core metadata for any file or folder. To download a copy visit the new website <http://dataaccessioner.org>. A User Manual is forthcoming. Feedback and questions are always welcome!

     - Seth

Seth Shaw
Assistant Professor of Archival Studies
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University

And, and also
A few papers I’ve found –
Institutional Repositories: Exploration of Costs and Value
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january13/burns/01burns.html

Science as an Open Enterprise report: Costs of digital repositories
https://royalsociety.org/policy/projects/science-public-enterprise/digital-repositories/
https://royalsociety.org/policy/projects/science-public-enterprise/report/
data usage https://royalsociety.org/policy/projects/science-public-enterprise/case-studies/

Repository of NSF-funded Publications and Related Datasets: “Back of Envelope” Cost Estimate for 15 years
Plale, Beth; Kouper, Inna; Seiffert, Kurt; Konkiel, Stacy R
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/16599

Comparison of Methods & Costs of Digital Preservation
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=299418CD33C195D3B1C2E7D4C1E736BD?doi=10.1.1.136.1118&rep=rep1&type=pdf

2008 blog and what to think about before establishing a repository
Repositories: Benefits, costs, contingencies (with an example)
http://everybodyslibraries.com/2008/09/11/repositories-benefits-costs-contingencies-with-an-example/

Sustainable Economics for a digital planet
http://brtf.sdsc.edu/

Sustaining Domain Repositories for Digital Data
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/support/announcements/2013/12/white-paper-urges-new-approaches-to