[Rdap] Research Data Selection and Appraisal Policies

Koshoffer, Amy (koshofae) KOSHOFAE at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Dec 2 07:48:48 EST 2014

Dear Chris,

Here at the University of Cincinnati we have several institutional repositories to collect our researchers' intellectual output.

First is the DRC or Digital Resource Commons (based on DSpace).  This repository started as an Ohiolink project and the collection policy is found at this link: http://drc.ohiolink.edu/pages/FAQ.xml  Ohiolink no longer supports the storage of our content and our content has been moved back to servers at UC.  But we have a similar collection policy https://drc.libraries.uc.edu/submit.html.

We have several other repositories such as Luna and UC Digital Collections and you can find links to the sites on the UC Libraries home page under digital scholarship (http://www.libraries.uc.edu/digital-scholarship.html).

We are in the process of implementing a next generation repository called Scholar (https://scholar.uc.edu/) and are involved in Project Hydra http://projecthydra.org/.  Though this repository is not yet available to the whole UC community,  we are working with early adopters to tailor functionality to our researchers.  The collection policy for Scholar is found at this link https://scholar.uc.edu/coll_pol_request.  Scholar is unique in our repositories as the submission is a self submission process.  I am quoting our director of digital repositories in pointing out that "in our distribution license, we explicitly state that we do not want data that is "classified as restricted, per the University of Cincinnati Data Protection Policy, Policy 9.1.1.<http://www.uc.edu/content/dam/uc/infosec/docs/policies/Data_Protection_Policy_9_1_1.pdf>"   I think it would be fair to add that we will likely need to clarify other policies about data, maybe not exactly in the category of selection and appraisal, but for example to advise researchers on the best technical strategy for 'big data'. "

This is an exciting project for UC libraries.  Please let me know if you would like more information.
Cheers,

Amy Koshoffer
Science Informationist

Science and Engineering Libraries