[Rdap] DIL Symposium Materials now available

Eric Lease Morgan eric.lease.morgan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 09:57:48 EST 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 3:26 PM, Lisa Johnston <ljohnsto at umn.edu> wrote:

> Our team is pleased to announce that video and content from the Data Information Literacy Symposium held at Purdue University in September 2013 has been fully archived and is now available for viewing at http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dilsymposium/.

I attended this Symposium and it was well worth my time. From my travelogue:

  Data Information Literacy @ Purdue

  By this time last week I had come and gone to the Data Information
  Literacy (DIL) Symposium at Purdue University. It was a very
  well-organized event, and I learned a number of things.

  First of all, I believe the twelve DIL Competencies were well-founded
  and articulated:

	* conversion & interoperability
	* cultures of practice
	* curation & re-use
	* databases & formats
	* discovery & acquisition
	* ethics & attribution
	* management & organization
	* metadata & description
	* preservation
	* processing & analytics
	* quality & documentation
	* visualization & representation

  For more detail of what these competencies mean and how they were
  originally articulated, see: Carlson, Jake R.; Fosmire, Michael; Miller,
  Chris; and Sapp Nelson, Megan, "Determining Data Information Literacy
  Needs: A Study of Students and Research Faculty" (2011). Libraries
  Faculty and Staff Scholarship and Research. Paper 23.
  http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/lib_fsdocs/23

  I also learned about Bloom's Taxonomy, a classification of learning
  objectives. At the bottom of this hierarchy/classification is
  remembering. The next level up is understanding. The third level is
  application. At the top of the hierarchy/classification is analysis,
  evaluation, and creation. According to the model, a person needs to move
  from remembering through to analysis, evaluation, and creation in order
  to really say they have learned something.

  Some of my additional take-aways included: spend time teaching graduate
  students about data information literacy, and it is almost necessary to
  be imbedded or directly involved in the data collection process in order
  to have a real effect — get into the lab.

  About 100 people attended the event. It was two days long. Time was not
  wasted. There were plenty of opportunities for discussion & interaction.
  Hat's off to Purdue. From my point of view, y'all did a good job. "Thank
  you.”

  http://blogs.nd.edu/emorgan/2013/10/dil/

—

Eric Lease Morgan