[Rdap] Data management and public services

Margaret E Henderson mehenderson at vcu.edu
Wed Nov 12 14:25:14 EST 2014

Daureen,

You might want to mention that some libraries have ditched their reference
desks so 'Public Service' is no longer possible in that sense.  Teaching
and consultation are services that approximate public service, in that we
are helping students, staff, and faculty find what they need.  We are in
the process of changing our promotion guidelines, and we have used the
criteria name 'Librarianship and Teaching'.  The librarianship criteria
changes depending on whether we are in archives, cataloging, reference, etc.

I realize that a sea change such as this is hard, but maybe the staff needs
to read 'New Roles for the Road Ahead' http://acrl.ala.org/newroles/
 Embedded librarians and informationists and popping up everywhere, so we
all need to try to redefine our promotion (and tenure if you are lucky)
criteria.

Good luck,
Margaret

Margaret Henderson, MLIS, AHIP
Associate Professor
Director, Research Data Management
VCU Libraries
www.library.vcu.edu  <http://www.library.vcu.edu>

Room 146
Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences
Virginia Commonwealth University
509 North 12th Street
Richmond, VA 23298

(804)628-2714