[Rdap] teaching librarians about data management

Daureen Nesdill daureen.nesdill at utah.edu
Fri Nov 14 17:03:17 EST 2014

Hi all,
Thanks for all your support and assistance. I did include your comments in my response letter.  Lets see what happens.
As promised here is the information for the training we did at the Univ of Utah. It consisted of a 4-hour workshop in the fall of 2013 and follow up sessions with groups of librarians. Any questions, clarifications just ask.

Daureen

Agenda for the 4-hr workshop

1.      Opening talk about the basics, history, definitions

2.      A very dynamic session where people in the audience got up and shared what services/resources they provided in support of research. A fellow librarian and I had gone through all the services/resources identifying what ones could benefit researchers. The AD talked to each person asking them to make a short presentation. I know I was impressed with what we already had in place. We provided a handout to all with the resources listed based on the research cycle. We also provided contact information. The list is below.

3.      A talk was given on the research cycle. We had developed a few research scenarios and had the various groups each analyze 1-2 to determine where was the researcher in the research cycle, what assistance could he/she obtain from the library and the contact person.

4.      Discussion of what was learned.

5.      A few months later those of us on the education committee went to each of the library's CIT meetings and educated them on repositories, DMPTool and anything else to do with their subject areas.  CIT = the library was reorganized by task instead of subject areas. We developed College and Interdisciplinary Teams to address outreach and collection development duties.

Library resources
Project Planning

*        Find campus resources for research -http://research.utah.edu/

*        Create data management plans for grant submission

*        Implement electronic notebooks (ELNs)

*        Support for FURTHeR (Federated Utah Research & Translational Health e-Repository) http://www.further.utah.edu/

*        Search patent databases

*        Edit grant proposals - assistance through the Writing Center;

Creating/Collecting Data

*        Find campus resources for research http://research.utah.edu/

*        Create audio recordings

*        Create video recordings

*        Learn about the Usability Lab  http://www.lib.utah.edu/services/usability-lab.php

Find sources of research data

*        Describe research data using metadata standards and vocabularies

Processing Data

*        Support for audio editing

*        Software and some support for video editing

*        Utilizing Geospatial Data

*        Access to research related software installed on Library computers & remotely -http://www.lib.utah.edu/services/labs/software.php

Analyzing Data

*        Learn qualitative analysis software

*        Access to research related software installed on Library computers & remotely http://www.lib.utah.edu/services/labs/software.php

Archiving /Preserving Data

*        Find subject-based data repositories

*        Deposit research data in USpace http://uspace.utah.edu

*        Learn the basics of digital preservation

*        Digitization of data and specimens

*        Describe research data using metadata standards and vocabularies

Sharing Data

*        Find subject-based data repositories

*        Obtain author identifiers

*        Patent issues with research data

*        Make research data publically accessible using USpace http://uspace.utah.edu

Daureen Nesdill, MS, MLIS
Data Curation Librarian
The Faculty Center @ the J. W. Marriott Library