[Rdap] NOW AVAILABLE: The April-June 2014 Quarterly Report from Fedora

Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at fedora-commons.org
Tue Sep 16 10:42:08 EDT 2014

Sept. 16, 2014

Read it online: http://bit.ly/Xvy9up
Contact: David Wilcox <dwilcox at duraspace.org>

*From The Fedora Steering Group
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Project+Team>*

*The Quarterly Report from Fedora*
April-June 2014

Fedora Development - In the past quarter, the development team released one
Alpha and three Beta releases of Fedora 4; detailed release notes are here:

   - Fedora 4.0 Alpha 5 Release Notes
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+4.0+Alpha+5+Release+Notes>
   - Fedora 4.0 Beta 1 Release Notes
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+4.0+Beta+1+Release+Notes>
   - Fedora 4.0 Beta 2 Release Notes
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+4.0+Beta+2+Release+Notes>
   - Fedora 4.0 Beta 3 Release Notes
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+4.0+Beta+3+Release+Notes>

These four releases bring us much closer to the Fedora 4.0 production
release. Features of note include enhanced object and datastream
versioning, improved support for linked data, a XACML authorization
implementation, REST-API improvements, transparent file system export, and
many other improvements. In addition to these features, a great deal of
effort has been put into improving the test coverage and overall
performance of Fedora 4. We encourage the community to download and install
Fedora 4 (a one-click installer
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Downloads> is available) and test
out the new features.

Fedora 4.0 is only the first release in the 4.x line - a number of features
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Roadmap>, including support for
Fedora 3 to Fedora 4 migrations
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+3+to+Fedora+4+Concept+Mapping>,
are planned for subsequent 4.x releases. While releasing Fedora 4.0 into
production is our top development priority, we must also start scheduling
the 2015 January to June block of code sprints
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Production+Sprint+Schedule> to work
on the next 4.x release. Please consider contributing developer time to
these sprints by contacting Andrew Woods (awoods at duraspace.org), the Fedora
Technical Lead.

*Fundraising*

We are in the midst of our annual membership campaign, which runs from
early May until the end of October. The annual membership goal for 2014 is
$500,000, and as of this report we have raised $478,000. The Fedora project
has a total of 51 members; this includes 13 new members and 38 renewals
from last year's members. The Fedora Product Manager will continue to
coordinate with members of the Fedora Steering Group to expand the pool of
DuraSpace members supporting the Fedora project to reach the annual funding
target for 2014.

*Community Engagement and Outreach*

In the past quarter, developers have continued to hold daily meetings in
conjunction with development sprints, as well as weekly Fedora committer
calls attended by the broader community. In June, the Fedora community came
together for Open Repositories <http://or2014.helsinki.fi/> in Helsinki,
Finland. Fedora featured prominently at the conference, with workshops,
presentations, user group sessions, and the official announcement of Fedora
4.0 Beta.

*Fedora 4 Training*

As we approach the production release of Fedora 4.0, we expect members of
the Fedora community to work toward deploying Fedora 4 locally.
Consequently, many community members have raised the issue of training as a
priority. In response to this demand, three Fedora 4 training workshops
have been scheduled alongside events in October:

   - DC Fedora User Group Meeting (Oct. 6-7)
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/Events/Washington+D.C.+Fedora+User+Group+Meeting+-+6-7+Oct+2014>
   - Islandora Camp Colorado (Oct. 16)
   <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/Events/Denver%2C+CO+Fedora+4+Training+Workshop+-+16+Oct+2014>
   - eResearch Australasia (Oct. 31)
   <http://eresearchau.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/eresau2014_submission_8.pdf>

In preparation for these events, the Fedora Product Manager and Technical
Lead have been building reusable training modules
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Training> for a one-day curriculum.
These training modules will serve as a basis for expanding to longer, more
in-depth training workshops in 2015.

*Upcoming Conferences*

In September, Fedora will be featured in presentations at The Future of
Information Infrastructure <http://www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/fii.html?&L=1> and
PASIG <http://www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/events/agenda.html> in Karlsruhe,
Germany, immediately followed by a Fedora User Group meeting
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/Events/Karlsruhe+Fedora+User+Group+Meeting+-+19+Sept+2014>.
Members of the Fedora Leadership Group, along with the Fedora Product
Manager, will also be present at the 4th RDA Plenary
<https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-fourth-plenary-meeting.html> in Amsterdam
to discuss the project with the research data community.

--
Carol Minton Morris
DuraSpace