[Rdap] licensing data

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 17 11:37:21 EDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Koshoffer, Amy (koshofae) wrote:

[trimmed]

> Can you direct me to a specific data set in your repository with a CC
> license that is more restrictive and give the context for the choices
> made?

Sorry, we have a strict 'public domain only' policy on our data.  There's
a standard for attribution within our community, but there's nothing
legally stopping people from using the data without attributing the
producers of the data.

> Is it still necessary for us to offer the CC licenses?

I think that CC0 is still a useful license for data.  I already mentioned
my issues with attribution stacking from 'BY' (both CC and ODC), but I've
had questiosn for years about exactly what 'ND' and 'NC' means for data.

If you publish a paper that requires a fee to access, is that a violation
of 'Non-Commercial'?  (I'm fairly certain it'd be a violation of 'SA')
If you're publishing in a journal run by a for-profit publisher, is that a
violation of 'NC'?

Is a published paper a violation of 'No Derivatives'?

> And I think the open data commons licenses do not have an all rights
> reserved option.  Would we want that choice as well?

I don't think so, because it encumbers the data so much to make it
unusable, in my opinion.

(But I've also been told that I'm a bit restrictive in my interpretation
of most licensing).

-Joe