[Rdap] Open Data Set for Teaching?

Paula Lackie plackie at carleton.edu
Thu Mar 24 18:53:46 EDT 2016

Have you looked through the excellent collection of materials at ICPSR?
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/datamanagement/index.html

They provide examples with their DMP training:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/datamanagement/dmp/framework.html

Another fantastic resource is the work from UCLA:
http://dss.princeton.edu/online_help/stats_packages/stata/text2stata.htm#dictionary
And I stumbled on to this example:
http://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/chis/data/Pages/public-use-data.aspx

You can even get some useful information & samples from wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dictionary (be sure to check the wikimedia site for useful handouts: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Data_Dictionary.png )

After that, it might make a difference whether these are largely collaborative projects or smaller, independent research projects.

For the data dictionary; most commercial software will spit one out for any dataset.

On the other hand, Stata uses the term "dictionary" to refer to reading in data in specific formats (note, you can use the "outfile" command to do the reverse.) http://www.stata.com/manuals13/dinfilefixedformat.pdf
(I think that Princeton did a nicer job of describing a dictionary here: http://dss.princeton.edu/online_help/stats_packages/stata/text2stata.htm#dictionary )
and
SPSS under IBM has changed the language from "data dictionary" to "copy data properties" (.. which I didn't know until I started looking for sample code for you.)
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLVMB_21.0.0/com.ibm.spss.statistics.help/idh_idd_cdpstart.htm

Maybe I'm not answering the question you're asking, but I hope this helps.

Paula
Paula Lackie - Academic Technology, Curricular & Research Data Support - Carleton College - Northfield, MN USA
Check my calendar or Sign-up for office hours or come to a Data Services drop-in ~ For curricular questions send mail to at @carleton.edu