[Rdap] DMP database?

O'Donnell, Megan N [LIB] mno at iastate.edu
Thu May 12 14:46:56 EDT 2016

I have some mixed feelings about "openly" sharing DMPs. I don't know if anyone else shares these concerns.
The first has to do with copyright and ownership: I am not sure what the status of these documents are pre or post submission/acceptance but I assume the PIs hold the copyright and their permission should be given before there is any redistribution. This is often not easily done.

The second has to do with "copy and paste" syndrome. The agencies (and most of us) appear to want thoughtful responses that are custom tailored for each proposal. Having a "database" of DMPs could lead to a lot of recycling and jargon pasting instead of original thought...

My last reservation is that these are documents associated with a competitive program. Once a proposal is funded the proposal is a public document, but, for all of the unfunded-still-competitive grants it may not be an excellent idea to share an awesome DMP as it could up the quality of the competition.  (which is great for research but not great for individuals or institutions).

Now, that said, it would be excellent if all applications had well thought-out, robust DMPs. Having good examples is certainly a good thing but after working on DMPs for about 4 years I can't help but think about some of the unexpected outcomes as well...

Megan

Megan O'Donnell
Scholarly Communication and
Science & Technology Librarian