[Rdap] Call for Participation: Contribute a Data Event Narrative

Brianna Marshall brianna.marshall at wisc.edu
Wed May 18 15:31:37 EDT 2016

Apologies for cross-posting.

Librarians are increasingly taking part in organizing, planning, and partnering on data-related events, trainings, and workshops. To better capture this knowledge, we started a project to collect data event narratives from different institutions. We first introduced this idea at the Research Data Access and Preservation (RDAP) Summit<https://www.asis.org/rdap/program-2016/> held in Atlanta, Georgia, on May 4-6.

One of the most challenging parts of the event planning process is learning the logistical and administrative details: What was the budget? Who did you partner with? How did you promote it - and what was attendance like? Another challenge is collecting a variety of "lessons learned" information from colleagues. These details are what we are aiming to capture and share openly back with the broader community to provide easily accessible use cases to compare and contrast.

Narratives have been contributed so far from institutions including Yale University, the University of Oklahoma, University of Michigan, University of Kansas, University of Colorado Boulder, Oregon State University, and University of Wisconsin. View these case studies through our public google drive folders<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7zo8yzNM-cAOUdBYTQ1RmpXWGs&usp=drive_web>.

Data events never occur the same way twice, even when based on the same curriculum. Whether focused on tools, methods, types of data, archive practices, analysis methods, or some other aspect of data work, please consider contributing a data event narrative. The path your event took to organize, fund, and execute will be unique and will contribute to the resource. Although we have specific subfolders for Day of Data, Software Carpentry<http://software-carpentry.org/>, Data Carpentry<http://www.datacarpentry.org/>, and Center for Open Science<https://cos.io/> workshops, we invite you to share events that do not fit these designations.

After collecting case studies from the community, we plan to publish the collection as an openly available project on the Open Science Framework<https://osf.io/>. To be included, please add your data event to the google drive folder by Friday, June 3, for publication in July 2016. Contribute your data event using the template found here: http://tinyurl.com/RDAP16.

If you have any questions, please contact project organizers Brianna Marshall (brianna.marshall at wisc.edu) or Jamene Brooks-Kieffer (jamenebk at ku.edu).

Thanks for considering sharing your experiences - and please pass this along to your colleagues!

Brianna Marshall

___

Brianna Marshall

Digital Curation Coordinator