[Rdap] Job Posting: Data Services Librarian
Shreeves, Sarah L
sshreeves at miami.edu
Mon Jan 23 13:21:37 EST 2017
Hi all –
We’re currently hiring a Data Services Librarian – this is a reworking of a position that was posted last summer. Miami is a great place to work (see more about us and Miami itself at http://library.miami.edu/workhere). Please let me know if you have any questions!
Data Services Librarian
University of Miami Libraries
The University of Miami Libraries seeks applications for a Data Services Librarian, a newly defined position in the UM Libraries. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Digital Strategies and working within the Digital Strategies unit, the Data Services Librarian will play a central role in the development and provision of Library services for access, use, and manipulation of quantitative and qualitative datasets. The Data Services Librarian will work closely with liaison librarians, the GIS Services Librarian, Digital Humanities Librarian, and others to build a strong data services program for the University of Miami community. The UM Libraries are in the midst of developing a Learning Commons<http://library.miami.edu/learningcommons/>, and this position, along with the GIS Services Librarian, will play a critical role in creating a data services component for the Learning Commons.
THE DEPARTMENT: Digital Strategies is a new unit within the Libraries and was formed with the arrival of an Associate Dean for Digital Strategies in 2015. The Digital Strategies unit’s coverage includes the Libraries’ digitization activities, GIS Services<http://sp.library.miami.edu/subjects/gis>, Digital Humanities<http://sp.library.miami.edu/subjects/digital-humanities>, Research Data Services<http://library.miami.edu/datacuration/>, and the infrastructure to support access to our digital content<http://merrick.library.miami.edu/>, scholarly communication activities (including the repository<http://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/>, journal publishing, and faculty profiles), and digital preservation. The unit currently includes two non-exempt staff members, four exempt administrative professionals, one post-doctoral fellow, and five library faculty, and collaborates extensively with departments across the Libraries including Learning and Research Services, Web and Application Development, and the distinctive collections. We have made several new hires in the past two years, spun up new services in GIS and the Digital Humanities, are engaged in a refresh of our infrastructure to provide access to our digitized content, and are working with the campus to develop sustainable services for research data management and curation. It is an exciting time to join this small but dynamic group!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide data services for the UMiami community (70%):
The primary set of responsibilities for this position is to develop and provide data services for the University of Miami community. These includes:
* In collaboration with liaison librarians and others, provide consultative and instructional services for faculty, students, and staff in quantitative and qualitative data access and analysis, including use of software tools such as SPSS, SAS, NVivo, AtlasTI, and R;
* Select and acquire licensed, free, and researcher-generated data collections to support research, scholarship, and teaching;
* Facilitate access to and use of data resources across disciplines;
* Create and maintain a data services web presence;
* Working in close collaboration with the GIS Services Librarian and the Learning Commons Implementation Team, design and implement a sustainable service model for data services in the Learning Commons;
* Serve as the University of Miami’s official representative to ICPSR and others as appropriate;
* Assess services and identify critical needs to continue to grow data services;
* Working with the newly formed Data Services Committee and the UM Libraries communications team, coordinate and market data services offerings across the university, including the Rosentiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences and the Miller College of Medicine.
* May serve in a supervisory role as appropriate.
Support research data management services (20%):
The Libraries are working now with the campus units to develop a sustainable service model and infrastructure for support of research data services. The Data Services Librarian is expected to participate in this service, but will not have primary responsibility for it.
* Identify and promulgate data standards, metadata standards, and best practices for numeric and qualitative data management;
* As part of a larger campus effort, contribute to development of research data management services, including the management, curation, and sharing of data sets created by University of Miami researchers;
* Work with the Digital Infrastructure and Services Team and others outside of the Library (researchers, Office of Research, Center for Computational Sciences, and others) to identify requirements for infrastructure for preservation and access to research data;
Professional service and engagement (10%):
* Network, collaborate, and actively participate in local, regional, national, and/or international organizations regarding data services;
* Represent and promote the University of Miami Libraries in local, state-wide, regional, national, or international organizations, as appropriate; and
* Serve on/participate in Libraries and University organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate.
* An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree, or, a Master’s or higher degree in a relevant or data intensive discipline.
* Demonstrable experience working with numeric data in an academic or research setting.
* Knowledge of free and licensed sources for numeric datasets.
* Proven experience in the use of at least one major statistical/analysis packages (such as SAS, R, STATA, or SPSS).
* Familiarity with principles of data documentation and metadata in an academic or research context.
* Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library service and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population.
* Good listener, superb people skills, and a strong team orientation.
* Capacity for professional development, involvement, and contribution.
* One year of relevant data services experience in an academic, scientific, or corporate setting.
* Familiarity with issues related to qualitative data collection and analysis, including software packages such as NVivo or AtlasTI.
* Experience with one or more commonly used data repository platforms.
* Familiarity with best practices in research data management and curation.
* Experience working in an academic library environment.
UNIVERSITY: The University of Miami is one of the nation’s leading research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and international vitality. The University is privately supported, non‐sectarian institution, located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260‐acre subtropical campus. The University comprises 11 degree granting schools and colleges, including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Marine and Atmospheric Science (www.miami.edu).
THE LIBRARIES: The University of Miami Libraries (http://library.miami.edu) rank among the top research libraries in North America with a collection of 3.6 million volumes including 877,000 ebooks, and 92,958 current serials titles including 90,550 electronic journals. The Otto G. Richter Library lies in the center of the Coral Gables campus and serves as the central library for the University. Other University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library, the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, the Marta & Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. The University also has independent medical and law libraries. The Libraries provide support and services for approximately 10,768 undergraduates, 5,725 graduate students, and 14,604 full and part time faculty and staff. Excluding the independent libraries, the University Libraries employ 62 professional and 74 support staff and are a member of ARL, CNI, ASERL, CLIR, DLF, NERL, OCLC Research Library Partners, SEFLIN, IFLA, IATUL, HathiTrust, APTrust, DataCite, and Lyrasis.
Salary and Benefits:
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a non-tenure track faculty appointment at the Librarian Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The position offers a comprehensive benefits package including: TIAA-CREF; medical and dental insurance; life, disability, and long-term care insurance available; tuition remission; 13 paid holidays; and 22 days annual vacation. Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee Assistance Program; bookstore, and sporting event discounts; optional fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center, and no state or local income taxes.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. Send nominations and applications to:
Human Resources Manager
University of Miami Libraries
e-mail: richter.recruiting at miami.edu<mailto:richter.recruiting at miami.edu>
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Sarah L. Shreeves
Associate Dean for Digital Strategies
University of Miami Libraries
sshreeves at miami.edu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the RDAP