[Rdap] Data Curation Network project releases two report

Lisa Johnston ljohnsto at umn.edu
Wed Mar 15 12:17:03 EDT 2017

Apologies for cross-posting. Please share broadly. Two reports released by
the Data Curation Network Projectposted 3-15-2017 by Lisa Johnston (
ljohnsto at umn.edu)

The Data Curation Network project team
<https://sites.google.com/site/datacurationnetwork/people> released two new
reports this week. The first shares the results of six focus group sessions
with researchers on their perceptions, use, and barriers of data curation
activities. In total we engaged 91 researchers from across our planning
phase institutions: U. of Minnesota, Cornell, Penn State, U of Illinois, U
of Michigan, and Wash U. in St. Louis. The research revealed what curation
activities are most important to researchers and where the Data Curation
Network could provide the most impact. Our interview instruments and
assessment data are also provided!

The second report describes the results of our experimental pilot for
curating the same dataset with staff from across our six institutions. We
present our methodology, results and concluding recommendations for how a
resulting Network model will work as a distributed staffing approach to
providing data curation support. Based on the findings of this pilot data
curation exercise, the Data Curation Network now has a better understanding
of the roles of the "local" and "DCN curators" and how data might
effectively flow through the DCN once implemented beyond our six
institutions.

Read the full reports on our Publications page
<https://sites.google.com/site/datacurationnetwork/results>

   - Special Report: "*Results of the Researcher Engagement Sessions
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ANiIdIChe6VPNloykMJFQEfAPJRGA8-zO-g8z7-XH7k/edit#>*
   "
   -
      - Supplemental Files available: Data Tables
      <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Dm3XFQloc4ZE0wSnJxR21jXzg>,
Worksheet
      Protocol
      <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Dm3XFQloc4RktRYXRsR1N0SGc>,
and Master
      Card Desk
      <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Dm3XFQloc4N1ZpSkU0VVJtb2c> used
      in Researcher Engagement Focus Groups
      - Special Report: "*Results of the Data Curation Pilots*
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Lp734CzZRJgZWYixGg1DMr9WEiWcM0wPBD0SQvcAko/edit#>
   "

The Data Curation Network project is supported by a grant from the ALFRED
P. SLOAN FOUNDATION <http://www.sloan.org/>.

The Data Curation Network project aims to enable academic institutions to
scale their data curation services by sharing staff with file format and
domain specific skills so that data sets ingested by one institution might
be curated by curators with that expertise at another institution. Thus we
aim to provide data repositories with a wider range of curatorial expertise
to handle the multi-disciplinary data types found across academic domains.

To learn more, check out our website at
https://sites.google.com/site/datacurationnetwork/home.

--

Lisa Johnston

University of Minnesota Libraries
108 Walter Library, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Hangouts: ljohnsto at umn.edu / Skype: ifylawwt

http://lib.umn.edu/datamanagement  |   http://conservancy.umn.edu

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6908-9240