[Rdap] FW: WARNING: Elsevier Reaxys API License Violates Academic Freedom

Daureen Nesdill daureen.nesdill at utah.edu
Mon Apr 9 17:36:48 EDT 2018

A reason to ignore Mendeley Data
Daureen Nesdill

From: "Michael A. Keller" <makeller at stanford.edu<mailto:makeller at stanford.edu>>
Subject: WARNING: Elsevier Reaxys API License Violates Academic Freedom
Date: April 4, 2018 at 4:38:45 PM PDT

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Elsevier's November 2017 contract proposal for its Reaxys chemical reactions API service contained requirements that the Stanford Libraries find to be antithetical to standards of academic freedom, and not in keeping with the university's policies.  Given these requirements (detailed in the attached warning) and Elsevier's unwillingness to negotiate these points, the Libraries have rejected this contract.  We predict that Elsevier will market this service to individual principal investigators and their labs.  No P.I. should sign any contract offered by Elsevier, particularly this one.

Please read and heed the attached WARNING.  Sources for further information are provided in the attached WARNING.

I request that Deans and Department Chairs receiving this WARNING re-distribute it to their faculty, P.I.s, and appropriate labs and centers.  Thank you.

Thank you,

 Mike

Michael A. Keller
  University Librarian
  Publisher Stanford University Press
Stanford University

101 Green Library
Stanford, CA 94305-6004
U.S.A.

voice: +1-650-723-5553
fax: +1-650-725-4902
email: Michael.Keller at Stanford.edu<mailto:Michael.Keller at Stanford.edu>
homepage: https://profiles.stanford.edu/michael-keller

Viel Feind, viel Ehre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ann M. Arvin, M.D.

Lucile Salter Packard Professor of Pediatrics and Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Stanford University School of Medicine
H-307, 650-498-6227

Vice Provost and Dean of Research, Stanford University
Building 10, 650-725-4421

Maria T. Zuber

Vice President for Research
E.A. Griswold Professor of Geophysics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, 3-234
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
Phone: 617.253.3206
http://orgchart.mit.edu/vice-president-research

Research Office:
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, 54-518
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307
Phone: 617.253.6397