[Rdap] Informal Online Discussion on upcoming AAU-APLU Workshop

Jake Carlson jakecar at umich.edu
Tue Oct 16 09:07:30 EDT 2018

Hello RDAP,

Back in November of 2017, the Association of American Universities and the
Association of Public and Land grant Universities released a report
<https://www.aau.edu/key-issues/aau-aplu-public-access-working-group-report-and-recommendations>with
recommendations for universities and federal agencies to help ensure public
access to federally-sponsored research data.

Following up on this report, the AAU-APLU is holding a 1.5 day workshop
<https://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/research-science-and-technology/public-access/index.html>
in Washington DC on October 29th and 30th as a venue for "learning,
sharing, and planning to support research universities as they implement
systems for public access to research data."

This workshop is a potential opportunity to influence how high-level
administrators understand university responsibilities in making research
data publicly accessible and to help define what actions they take to
provide support for public access to data. The workshop is an invitation
only event and just 30 universities were invited to send a team of
representatives to attend. However, librarians will be on some of these
teams, giving us a voice at this workshop.

As this is an area of interest for data librarians, Sherry Lake and I will
be holding an informal online discussion on Tuesday Oct 23rd at 1pm
Eastern. We will be discussing issues of interest from the Nov AAU-APLU
report and what we as a community would like to see come out of this
workshop.

If you are interested in attending please send us your email address using
this Google Form <https://goo.gl/forms/zCBy7X0n4BMtNKKb2> and we'll send
you an invitation to this online discussion a day or two in advance.

If there are any particular topics of interest from the AAU-APLU report or
if you have ideas on what you would like to see come out of this workshop,
please list those as well (optional). We have also created a Google Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WOoBnRwTy3HcsBSG9ainmNN8XkICzdsVorNeXG98nGs/edit>
to help start this conversation. If you would like to add your thoughts
please do, but do not write over the comments of others or resolve comments.

We look forward to talking with you on Oct 23rd!

-Jake Carlson (University of Michigan) and Sherry Lake (University of
Virginia)

--
Jake Carlson
Director of Research Data Services