[Rdap] Town Hall Notes

Kristin Briney kabriney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 15:05:22 EDT 2019

Thanks for everyone who came to the Town Hall! If you weren't able to
attend, I'm sharing notes in this email.

Also note: *today is the last day to sign up to be a member (it's free!) if
you want to vote in the Board elections*. Membership information here:
https://rdapassociation.org/membership/

We look forward to seeing everyone next month in Miami!

Kristin
RDAP Secretary

---

Town Hall Notes

Announcements

   -

   Register for the conference ASAP
   -

      Sheraton is booked, the Marriot is almost booked
      -

   Voting
   -

      EOB today (2019-04-25) is last day to sign up to be a member and be
      able to vote (can sign up later but won’t be able to vote)
      -

      Last call for voting will go out on Monday (2019-04-29)

   -

   RDAP Business meeting at conference
   -

      Plan is to have it recorded
      -

      1:20pm on Thursday May 16 (2019-05-16)
      -

   IRS is processing our 501(c)3 paperwork!

Questions

   -

   What are goals for year 2?
   -

      Strategic plan for RDAP
      -

      Focus on member resources
      -

         Previous requests: webinars, membership directory, open ed
         resources/RDM Hub
         -

         RDAP website for resources
         -

         Networking opportunities
         -

            E.g. “I’m hiring”/”I’m seeking” badges at conference this year
            -

      How to support people moving up in career
      -

      Membership model
      -

      More visioning than next year’s Board
      -

      Establishing partnerships with other organizations -- President
      especially
      -

         Advocate for our community
         -

   Are people excited about this year’s Summit and programming?
   -

      Format of talks -- independent or inter-woven?
      -

         Open-ended format with lots of autonomy given to presenters and
         moderator
         -

   How will future locations be chosen?
   -

      No longer tied to IA Summit
      -

      Move conference around different regions of country
      -

         Conference location history: Phoenix, Denver, New Orleans,
         Baltimore, San Diego, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, Chicago, Miami
         -

      Considering non-US, North American location in future
      -

      Next site will be announced at Summit
      -

      Conference planner facilitates site selection process
      -

   How will location (non-US) work with commitment to keep costs down?
   -

      Very important to us this year and going forward
      -

      This year’s cost is about $100 per day, down from almost $600 last
      year
      -

   How many attendees for Summit 2019?
   -

      Currently 130, ideal would be 180
      -

      Last year 145
      -

   How is membership drive
   -

      153 as of Tuesday
      -

   Scheduling conflicts with other events
   -

      Tried very hard but still have some overlap
      -

      Limited by university site this year and their calendar
      -

   What does Education & Resources committee do?
   -

      Current goal is to get webinars running
      -

         Need to determine where to archive recordings
         -

      Resources for people learning in this area
      -

         Probably not creating new content, lots of great stuff already
         exists
         -

      Scholarships
      -

      More information on call for action committee members soon
      -

         Call for committee volunteers appears on election ballot
         -

   Travel restrictions from certain state institutions
   -

      This came up at previous town hall
      -

      Discussed with conference manager
      -

   Other RDAP positions
   -

      Liaison to membership that is not the board that members can reach
      out to
      -

   What is future profile of RDAP Association? Library profile or more
   broad?
   -

      We’ve been talking about this for several years!
      -

         Ongoing question from our relationship with ASIS&T
         -

      We want to be inclusive but maintain a relevant scope
      -

         North American
         -

         Data practitioners
         -

      Very hard to define
      -

         “Data librarian” much too limited
         -

         “Data practitioners” better but is it right?
         -

   Outreach to other groups
   -

      AgBioData https://www.agbiodata.org/
      -

      Regional data librarian symposia/events
      -

         Kristin Briney outreaching to other groups to discuss governance
         -

         Discussion on how things work, opened lines of communication
         -

         RDAP may be able to offer support but nothing developed yet
         -

      NNLM regional network
      -

         Regional training for biomedical librarians
         -

      Carpentries?
      -

         Good idea
         -

         Atlanta Summit had post-conference Carpentries workshop (2016)
         -

         Intro to Carpentries workshop in Chicago (2018)
         -

         Could expand this relationship
         -

         Have several RDAP members who are instructors
         -

            [Discussion on virtual Carpentries training]
            -

         Discussion table space at conference -- Julie G leading
         -

   Further call for action committee members soon

More questions, contact us! https://rdapassociation.org/contact-us/ (we
also have an email account RDAPBoard at gmail.com but contact form will be
faster)