[Rdap] RDAP Happenings: June 2019

Erica Mehan Johns emj73 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 27 16:34:34 EDT 2019

Business: this will be our last “RDAP Happenings” that will be communicated via the listserv. If you want to stay in the loop, please become a member<https://rdapassociation.org/membership/> (its free this year!).

JeSLIB CFP: Submissions for the RDAP 2019 Special Issue are due June 30th. The 2019 Special Issue will focus on the Summit's themes, "Building Communities: How Different Communities are Impacted by Our Systems, Technology, Values, and Practices; Who Our Communities are By and For; and Data Services Examined through a Critical Lens."

This is an open submissions call that encourages all RDAP19 presenters (talk, poster, presentation), especially first-time presenters, to submit. There is also encouragement for new and veteran RDAP Summit attendees to write and submit Commentaries to the special issue - it's a great way to jump into scholarly publishing. Guidelines<https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/jeslib/styleguide.html%3Chttps:/urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__escholarship.umassmed.edu_jeslib_styleguide.html&d=DwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=4CifwTA75cY0ZaxZdhJnr9VZE--ELNxlMlTE8IF3QJ0&m=yqm8Cg6KjAqiet98paPrvXlXhTNK4N9ZU3uZCaACHtQ&s=IqwSAvUa_zmLCsGuQHT5JxgjeDsrmWhf0g6VLGcC6Bk&e=%3E.> for authors should be followed carefully when preparing your manuscript.

Conference round-up: We had an exceptional conference at the University of Miami- thanks for being such an excellent host Tim et al.! The conference, our first as an independent association and our 10th annual, had 138 registrants, of whom 61 were first time attendees. Of the 138 registrants, 31 states and 6 countries were represented. Of the 38 presentations, 16 were from first-time presenters. Conference co-chair, Tisha Mentnech, wanted to express her gratitude and appreciation for all involved for making it such a wonderful experience. And the Board wants to echo those thanks! If you missed the conference, please find the presentations here: https://osf.io/meetings/RDAP2019/.

Upcoming webinar:  Save the date: July 8, 2-3PM EST. The RDAP Education and Resources team is excited to announce an upcoming webinar, "Radical collaboration in practice: Data Curation Network Update."

Watch this webinar to hear about how the DCN prepared the people, systems, and procedures in place in order to curate data sets across 9 institutions. Each dataset submitted to the Network is assigned to a curator who has the domain and/or software skills to expertly apply CURATE steps to check, understand, and recommend actions that will ensure the data are of long-term reuse value.

The webinar is free. For more info and to register, go to https://tulane.zoom.us/meeting/register/cfb2dcd7131be5858c34be5db4a05ad8

New Executive Board: Starts July 1, 2019.

  *   President: Tobin Magle
  *   Vice-President: Jen Darragh
  *   Treasurer: Chris Eaker
  *   Secretary: Joanna Thielen
  *   Past-President: Erica Johns

RDAP 2020 Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, planned for March 2020.

Gratitude: I want to personally thank all of the founding RDAP Association Executive Board members (Jake Carlson, Amy Koshoffer, Kristin Briney, Amy Neeser, Christie Wiley, and Daureen Nesdill) for their dedication and hard work this year. You were an amazing group of people to think and develop with- I’ll miss us!

In addition, I want to send thanks to the action committees who achieved great things including: an inclusive and impactful conference, a cheaper registration rate (!) through sponsorship relations, an improved and content rich website that has a great foundation to grow upon, clear marketing workflows, 3 relevant and educational webinars, a student scholarship, excellent workshops after the conference, and our second JeSLIB special issue!  Thanks to all, this community is what makes RDAP the best!

Annual Report: in case you want more information, you can find our annual report <https://osf.io/jwxm3/> on our OSF. Within, you will see the activities of the Executive Board and action committees, as well as our financial status.

Be well All, it's been real!

Best,

Erica M. Johns, soon to be past-president

On behalf of the RDAP Executive Board 2018|2019