[Rdap] Information Inventories

Fitzgerald, Jennifer jmfitzgerald at noble.org
Thu Apr 2 12:40:22 EDT 2020

Hello RDAP Colleagues:

Per our institutional Data Classification Policy, the Information Management department at my institute is responsible for conducting an annual information inventory that spans to approximately 30 department heads.

We maintain a lengthy spreadsheet for each department that covers the following:  Data Owner, Type of Data, Data Classification Level (confidential, internal or public), Type of Compliance, Data Location, Others with Access, Controls and Processes.  We also include potential business impacts that we mark with a simple "x" if applicable:  Compliance, Data Leakage, Data Loss/Unavailable, Financial, Legal, Loss of Critical Systems, Reputation Loss and Safety/Security.

Each year, we schedule a formal meeting with each head to review and update the previous year's inventory.  We then forward the final copy to them for approval following the meeting.  We would like to be able to condense things down to where we can possibly send a copy to them for review and updating beforehand.  We are trying to revamp (read as "simplify") the process, since it can be daunting and time consuming.  In addition to assessing risk and assigning classification levels, the inventories are referred to and updated as employees leave employment or transfer to new positions.

Does anyone in this group conduct these types of inventories or do anything somewhat similar?  Feedback and ideas for improvements are welcome!

Thank you.

Jennifer Fitzgerald
Data Management Coordinator, Information Management
P. 580-224-6268  F. 580-224-6265
Noble Research Institute, LLC
2510 Sam Noble Parkway, Ardmore, OK 73401
www.noble.org<http://www.noble.org/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D2C963.A64FD240]