[Rdap] Coming this Week - RDAP Town Hall meeting - "Ask me Anything Series" - “What’s different about clinical data?” January 29, 2020 @ 1:00 pm EST

Koshoffer, Amy (koshofae) KOSHOFAE at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Jan 27 12:04:30 EST 2020

Please join your colleagues on January 29, 2020 @ 1:00 pm EST for the  RDAP Town Hall “Ask Me Anything” series on Clinical Data where we hope to answer the question:  “What’s different about clinical data?”

Managing data has a number of common principles that get applied to each subject domain. As a result, it’s easy to start consideration of data with disciplinary subject and data structure. But in the health sciences and medicine there is a key issue that has to be asked first: Is it clinical research data? Before delving into metadata standards, FAIR principles, or sharing, a health sciences data librarian often starts with the clinical/nonclinical distinction.

But what’s so special about clinical data? What do we even mean when we talk about clinical data? This session will introduce basic concepts in clinical data management, processes that are commonly used by researchers looking to do clinical data research. We will explore how a health sciences library can provide patron support on local infrastructure for accessing and using clinical data for research. We will also provide resources for further exploration by librarians and patrons.

Attendees will come away with:
(1) a better understanding of basic terminology and data workflows in clinical research data management;
(2) a sense of typical workflows that happen with the clinical research data lifecycle;
(3) an introduction to systems in clinical data collection and analysis, particularly REDCAP; and,
(4) at least one answer to the question of “What’s different about clinical?” When it comes to data.

The Presenters are
Nina Exner, Research Data Librarian @ Virginia Commonwealth University
Lori D Sloane, Data Manager: HS Library and Informatics Ctr., University of New Mexico
Christy E Navarro, Health Library Informaticist, UC Davis

Cheers,
Amy Koshoffer (she/her)
Assistant Director of Research & Data Services | UC Libraries
[orcid small]ORCID 0000-0001-8130-103X<http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8130-103X>

amy.koshoffer at uc.edu<mailto:amy.koshoffer at uc.edu>  (preferred) | (513) 556-1310
Research & Data Services<https://libraries.uc.edu/research-teaching-support/research-data-services.html> (Data, GIS, Informatics)