[Rdap] Data Duplication Question

Fitzgerald, Jennifer jmfitzgerald at noble.org
Fri Jul 17 17:55:02 EDT 2020

Hello:

When is data duplication okay?

Some feedback we receive from researchers is that they don't necessarily want to duplicate raw files because the file(s) applies to multiple projects.  They want to maintain a single copy and use it as needed.  These are probably unique cases, as we have others who have multiple copies of the same files sprinkled here and there.

We are trying to shift to a more project-centric focus.  The idea is that project files will be packaged up from beginning to end in a single storage space - all raw and processed files, presentations, manuscripts, etc., unique to that specific project will be lumped together for reference.  (Note:  We use a content management system that will store the bulk of the files along with another database that is used to store some, but not all raw files associated with experiments.)  If the same files apply to multiple projects, wouldn't it be ideal to maintain those files with those projects regardless of duplication?  Is anyone dealing with this or have suggestions?  We have discussed possibly linking these types of files across the projects (maintaining one master copy), but I'm curious to see if anyone has done this successfully, what it looked like and what tools were used.  Where does the original file reside in these cases?  Thanks.

Jennifer Fitzgerald
Data Management Coordinator, Information Management
P. 580-224-6268  F. 580-224-6265
Noble Research Institute, LLC
2510 Sam Noble Parkway, Ardmore, OK 73401
www.noble.org<http://www.noble.org/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D2C963.A64FD240]