[Rdap] Data resulting from biosafety-related research: to publicly share or not?

Jonathan Petters jpetters at vt.edu
Fri Jul 24 16:17:38 EDT 2020

Hi all,

In working with a researcher who studies the airborne transmission of
pathogens, I'm wondering about the ethics/rules around the public sharing
of data resulting from such biosafety-related research.

I've been looking around for clear guidance, and the most I've found so far
is a vague statement from Nature: "It is a condition of publication that
authors deposit their data in an appropriate repository, and agree to make
the data publicly available without restriction, excepting reasonable
controls related to human privacy or biosafety."

Anyone else here have more clear guidance from an
institution/funder/journal that I've been unable to find?

I can ask our IBC contact here on campus, but thought I'd ask the hivemind
first :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Petters Ph.D.
Assistant Director, Data Management & Curation Services