[Rdap] invited participation at conferences

Stephanie Swanberg swanberg at oakland.edu
Mon Mar 2 16:09:25 EST 2020

Hi Daureen,

Yes, I also get these requests!

Sounds like you might be getting phishing emails from potentially predatory
conferences as cold emails or solicitations from an unknown conference
organizer outside of your field are often signs of this. I would recommend
this article from The Huffington Post: Predatory Conferences Undermine
Science And Scam Academics
<https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-madhukar-pai/predatory-conferences-academia_b_12467834.html?ec_carp=5942490893497754955>
by Pai and Franco and check out the Think.Check.Attend website
<https://thinkcheckattend.org/> for more information.

Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common, similar to predatory
journals seeking authors to publish in their journals. I'm not sure if
there is a way to identify a source or block these emails. I would
recommend marking as spam and hopefully your email client will start
recognizing them automatically.

Thanks!

Stephanie

--
Stephanie M. Swanberg, MSI, AHIP
Associate Professor, Information Literacy & eLearning Librarian

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine Library
100 Library Drive
Rochester, MI 48309
(248) 370-3776

swanberg at oakland.edu