[Rdap] Digital Preservation Work Featured in May issue of Discover Magazine

Gary Marchionini gary at ils.unc.edu
Thu Jun 16 06:45:42 EDT 2011

Given that the logistics for RDAP 2012 are well along, it makes sense
to think carefully about 2013.  It will take a good bit of work to get
ACM, IEEE, and ASIST to work out a funding model so the timing may be
right.  Whoever sponsors OR (CNI etc.) will also have to work out
logistics.  The JCDL steering committee leaders are Rick Furuta, Ed
Fox, and Edie Rasmussen.
Gary
On Jun 15, 2011, at 3:05 PM, William L Anderson wrote:

> Gary et al., I just attended OR2011, but am unable to be at JCDL this
> year. I am agnostic about changing RDAP2012, and commitments have been
> made. But looking past 2012 it might make sense for RDAP, OR, and JCDL
> to become one info and data access and preservation summit. It does
> make
> for a long week, but these are overlapping communities that are
> separated by the proliferation of individual conferences. And the
> topics
> of research data management cross many of these conference boundaries.
> In addition, funding for travel will be constrained in the coming
> years,
> so perhaps consolidation, or a loose confederation, is an attractive
> idea?
>
> -Bill
>
> On 6/15/11 1:48 PM, Gary Marchionini wrote:
>> this is important to know Dick....unless there is very strong and
>> immediate action, we should stick with plan for 2012....I will do a
>> bit
>> more investigation the rest of today here at JCDL....FYI, JCDL 2013
>> will
>> be in Indianapolis so we might consider this again next
>> year...there are
>> issues of cost sharing that will be challenging to work out in any
>> case.
>> On Jun 15, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Richard Hill wrote:
>>
>>> I have already made HOTEL Commitments.  IF this is the group’s
>>> intent,
>>> I need a decision right away so I can start TRYING to back out of
>>> those commitments.
>>>
>>> Dick