[Rdap] Deciding when a Data Management Plan is not required?

John Graybeal jgraybeal at ucsd.edu
Wed May 4 19:13:16 EDT 2011

Umm, I'm not sure the 1999 position will qualify as a best practices document.  It's one thing when talking about private communications.  But when talking about a publicly funded activity to establish that information, it seems worth closer consideration.

I think you could cite it and NSF might find your argument flawless.  But from an open data and public money perspective, the spirit of where we're trying to go is to naturally (and easily) use best practices to make as much information publicly visible as possible, in as useful a form as possible.  WIthin appropriate cost constraints, of course.

So that is where your personal convictions, preferences, and situation kicks in, I expect.

john

John Graybeal    <mailto:jgraybeal at ucsd.edu>     phone: 858-534-2162
Product Manager
Ocean Observatories Initiative Cyberinfrastructure Project: http://ci.oceanobservatories.org