[Rdap] EUDAT Project in Europe funded

Peter Wittenburg Peter.Wittenburg at mpi.nl
Mon May 9 05:04:30 EDT 2011

Dear RDAP colleagues,

I would like to inform you that the EUDAT project which I mentioned in my talk at the meeting in Phoenix (probably under the old name PARADE) will become funded by the European Commission.
The project is about to work out the basis for a "Collaborative Data Infrastructure" [1] where a number of different disciplines (from natural science to humanities) and a number of the strongest European data centers come together and implement some key data services in the coming 3 years. We understand that the project is challenging in so far that we first need to find a common understanding between so different disciplines of and second identify which of the data services are common in the sense that they are (almost) the same for all disciplines.

The project will officially start in autumn this year and of course we will be interested in maintaining intensive interactions with the RDAP experts. Of course we will prepare more elaborate documents and a web-site once started.
The coordinator of the project will be Kimmo Koski from CSC (Finland) and my role will be "scientific coordinator", i.e. bringing the communities together, synchronizing the requirements etc.

Of course we are very happy that this now will become reality and certainly the excellent discussions in Phoenix and the interactions with some of you afterwards helped a lot in shaping the proposal.

[1] Riding the Wave - Report: http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/hlg-sdi-report.pdf

best
Peter

Peter Wittenburg