[Rdap] NEWS RELEASE: DuraSpace Launches 2011 Community Sponsorship Program

Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at fedora-commons.org
Thu May 5 11:17:55 EDT 2011

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ONLINE:
http://duraspace.org/content/duraspace-launches-2011-community-sponsorship-program
*

May 5, 2011

Contact: Valorie Hollister ** <cmmorris at duraspace.org>*
vhollister at duraspace.org*

*DuraSpace Launches 2011 Community Sponsorship Program*

*Ithaca, NY *The challenges of preserving and providing access to researcher
data continue to grow and the stakes remain high. DuraSpace, an independent
501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, has launched its 2011 Community
Sponsorship Program to engage leaders from university and library
communities in supporting the common goal of ensuring that our scholarly
record of digital content and data is saved and accessible for future
generations.

Community sponsors contribute at three levels of giving (*
http://DuraSpace.org/sponsors* <http://duraspace.org/sponsors>) as an
investment in community-driven approaches to preserving our digital
heritage. DuraSpace (http://DuraSpace.org <http://duraspace.org/>) is the
home of the DSpace (*http://DSpace.org/* <http://dspace.org/>), Fedora (*
http://Fedora-commons.org/* <http://fedora-commons.org/>) open source
software for digital repositories and DuraCloud
(http://DuraCloud.org<http://duracloud.org/>),
a hosted service for managing your content in the cloud.

*Providing leadership and community support*

DuraSpace (*http://DuraSpace.org/* <http://duraspace.org/>) is committed to
providing leadership and innovation in the development and deployment of
open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital
data. Collaborators
include highly respected academic institutions, government agencies, and
scientific and cultural organizations.  In addition to its work in open
source software and services, DuraSpace advocates for open access to
scholarly publications and for interoperability of the supporting
technologies. DuraSpace has helped to establish open standards and protocols
by working with other open source software projects and working closely with
commercial partners on integration strategies.

Ann J. Wolpert, Director of Libraries, Massachusettes Institute of
Technology, offers this rationale for financial support of the DuraSpace
organization: “DuraSpace offers immediate solutions for university libraries
grappling with growing amounts of digital content and data. By supporting
their work, we are not only investing in the future of our own digital
repositories, but in the integrity of the larger scholarly record as well.”

*About DuraSpace *

DuraSpace is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. DuraSpace software and
services are used worldwide as solutions for open access, institutional
repositories, digital libraries, digital archives, data curation, virtual
research environments, and more.  DuraSpace provides leadership and
innovation in the use of open source and cloud-based technologies to serve
libraries, universities, research centers, cultural heritage institutions,
and other knowledge stewards.  The organization’s open source technology
portfolio includes the DSpace open access repository application and the
Fedora open repository platform. DuraSpace is the home of DuraCloud (
http://DuraCloud.org <http://duracloud.org/>), an emerging cloud-based
service that leverages existing cloud infrastructure to enable durability
and access to digital content.  The DuraSpace team includes recognized
leaders and experts in the management of digital information.  The team
works with an active and diverse international community committed to the
durability of digital resources.

The DuraSpace technology portfolio inherently addresses the issue of
durability of digital content.  Our values are expressed in our
organizational byline, “open technologies for durable digital content.”
--
Carol Minton Morris
DuraSpace