[Rdap] Standards for digital evidentiary data

Konkiel, Stacy Rose skonkiel at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 19 11:50:46 EST 2012

Hello all,

I'd like to tap our collective expertise to see if I can find an answer to the following question: What kind of standards exist for maintaining digital evidentiary data? Is there anything like HIPAA for such data?

Context: a campus police department is interested in using one of our high-capacity storage systems to store digital video files of traffic stops, etc. We have an excellent, high-capacity, tape storage system at IU that is used currently only for long-term research data storage. Current restrictions on the types of content we'll store are a) no government classified data and b) no clinical records (copies are fine, but no primary documents, as they don't want the liability in the event that the servers are down for maintenance).

So far, my searching has only returned information about digital forensics-not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Stacy Konkiel
E-Science Librarian
skonkiel at indiana.edu<mailto:skonkiel at indiana.edu>
http://scholarworks.iu.edu/data/
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
Wells Library E159 Bloomington, IN  47405
(812) 856-5295