[Rdap] Standards for digital evidentiary data

Mark Conrad Mark.Conrad at nara.gov
Wed Dec 19 12:34:03 EST 2012

The first questions would be which records laws and regulations apply to
these records/what court(s) would have jurisdiction? For example in some
states the records of state institutions of higher education are
considered state records and subject to that state's records laws. If
the videos contain images of IU students, FERPA may come into play. Most
importantly the rules of procedure and evidence of the cognizant
court(s) should be consulted. The University Archivist and/or the
General Counsel, or someone on their staffs may be able to help you
determine what rules would apply to these records.

The current Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Criminal Procedure, and
Evidence can be found here:

http://www.uscourts.gov/RulesAndPolicies/rules/current-rules.aspx

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Conrad
NARA Information Services/Applied Research
IXA
The National Archives and Records Administration
Erma Ora Byrd Conference and Learning Center
Building 494 Second Floor
610 State Route 956
Rocket Center, WV  26726

Phone: 304-726-7820
Fax: 304-726-7802
Email: mark.conrad at nara.gov
http://www.facebook.com/NARACAST
http://www.archives.gov/applied-research/ (
http://www.archives.gov/ncast/ )
Twitter: @lmc1990
>>> "Konkiel, Stacy Rose" <skonkiel at indiana.edu> 12/19/2012 11:50 AM

Hello all,

I’d like to tap our collective expertise to see if I can find an answer
to the following question: What kind of standards exist for maintaining
digital evidentiary data? Is there anything like HIPAA for such data?

Context: a campus police department is interested in using one of our
high-capacity storage systems to store digital video files of traffic
stops, etc. We have an excellent, high-capacity, tape storage system at
IU that is used currently only for long-term research data storage.
Current restrictions on the types of content we’ll store are a) no
government classified data and b) no clinical records (copies are fine,
but no primary documents, as they don’t want the liability in the event
that the servers are down for maintenance).

So far, my searching has only returned information about digital
forensics—not exactly what I’m looking for.

Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Stacy Konkiel
E-Science Librarian
skonkiel at indiana.edu
http://scholarworks.iu.edu/data/
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
Wells Library E159 Bloomington, IN  47405
(812) 856-5295