[Rdap] DOIs for research data in DSpace

Konkiel, Stacy Rose skonkiel at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 1 12:30:44 EDT 2012

Hello everyone,

We've got a research group here at Indiana University that is interested in registering their bitstream (data file) URLs for DOIs for each dataset in their project that's been uploaded to our institutional repository.

They point out that a PURL already exists for the metadata page/item record-that's the DSpace Handle. They want their DOIs to allow for direct data file download. Our IR team is a bit hesitant to endorse this, as bitstream URLs are somewhat less stable that Handles, and DOIs (registered to IRs, SRs, and publishers alike) seem to always point to a landing page of some sort.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? I'm familiar with the ANDS/Griffith U example [1] but would like to know more about best practices at other institutions, and the arguments for/against registering bitstream URLs for DOIs.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Stacy Konkiel
E-Science Librarian