[Rdap] Register for the March 14 PASIG Webinar: The Cloud - A Better Alternative for Long-term Preservation or Too Good to Be True?

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Fri Feb 22 15:04:25 EST 2013

We had a very successful inaugural PASIG webinar (Tom Cramer on Digital
Preservation in Theory and Practice) with over 170 attendees earlier this
month. You can access it at
http://www.preservationandarchivingsig.org/index.html.

We will have the next PASIG webinar on March 14 at 8:30am PT. Chris Wood has
consistently been one of the most popular and thought-provoking speakers at
PASIG events. His insights on current infrastructure technologies and future
trends have been very helpful to PASIG members over the years. This webinar
will provide listeners with an opportunity to dive deeper on the subject of
the Cloud than is normally possible during the conferences. The webinar is
free for ASIS&T members and $20 for non-ASIS&T members.

To register, go to:
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/webinars/Webinar-Wood-3-14-2013-register.htm

------------------------

Title: The Cloud - A Better Alternative for Long-term Preservation or Too
Good to Be True?

Tired of receiving another End Of Life notice from your vendor? Performing
disk migrations every five years? Managing persnickety software
interoperability from multiple vendors? Being monkey in the middle
diagnosing multi-vendor problems? Spending all your time and money on
sustaining your infrastructure vs. innovating?

Go to the Cloud! Today’s latest and greatest panacea for IT indigestion.
Pack up your data and your troubles and ship it out to someplace else. Sign
me up! I think? I wonder if they have a 100 year contract? When they migrate
my data, will my indexing application still find it? Do they really protect
it? Will they support older OS versions for me? For how long? Will they sort
out multi-vendor problems?

Mr. Wood will discuss the current infrastructure technology and procedures
required for long term preservation and then compare and contrast them with
the typical business model employed by most cloud providers. Are we headed
to the altar or divorce court? Tune in and find out.

Mr. Leighton C. “Chris” Wood Jr.

Mr. Wood, Director of Product Management at Oracle is responsible for
product management of the Pillar Axiom family of storage systems as well as
managing future development requirements for the next generation Axiom. Mr.
Wood also is responsible for providing product and strategy support to the
Oracle direct sales force.

Earlier, Mr. Wood was the Director of Product Marketing at Pillar Data
Systems and was responsible for all aspects of delivering Pillar products
into the market. This included, but is not limited to, defining product
requirements, developing both a direct and channel distribution strategy and
insuring that all required collateral and technical documentation is
available at product launch. Oracle acquired Pillar Data in 2011

Prior to Pillar, Mr. Wood was the Chief Storage Technologist for Sun’s
Global Storage Solutions Practice; responsible for identifying and
delivering the best technologies and solutions available that can address
our customer’s complex data management problems. MaxStrat was acquired by
Sun early in 1999.

At MaxStrat, Mr. Wood, VP of Sales and Marketing, was responsible for
worldwide sales, technical support and the development of key OEM and
strategic alliances with major systems houses and integrators. Before
joining MaxStrat, Mr. Wood was the Director of Open Systems Architecture for
the Storage Systems Division (SSD) of IBM. Prior to that, Mr. Wood held
numerous jobs at IBM in OEM sales, product development and support;
primarily in the storage and SNA Networking areas.

Mr. Wood graduated from Union College, Schenectady NY in 1970 with degrees
in Economics and Electrical Engineering. He currently holds three patents in
the area of RAID design, very large data object storage architecture and
power optimized storage infrastructure (The MAID patent).  He is a member of
IEEE and the SNIA Data Management Forum as well as other professional
organizations.