[Rdap] Research Data Deposit Agreement Language

Michael J. Giarlo michael at psu.edu
Fri Mar 15 16:28:59 EDT 2013

Aletia,

Here's the deposit agreement for Penn State's ScholarSphere:

     https://scholarsphere.psu.edu/agreement

A few specific notes:

 * We did vet this with the University's legal department, and it passed muster.
 * We subdivided the agreement by visibility level, to make sure we made different promises depending on the access controls of the deposit (which may be altered at any time by the depositor).
 * It's entirely up to the depositor to determine if they are authorized to make a deposit -- we do not have, and do not anticipate having, the capacity to "police" content, and in practice it seemed like just about every web-based University service on campus functions in exactly this way for reasons of scale.  That said, we are happy to consult with a potential depositor beforehand to think that through, and we provide something like a "takedown" policy in the event of e.g. an IP dispute.  ScholarSphere policies live here: https://scholarsphere.psu.edu/about

-Mike