[Rdap] Research Data Deposit Agreement Language

Aletia Morgan aletia.morgan at rutgers.edu
Fri Mar 15 16:04:58 EDT 2013

Greetings and Happy Friday -

I know I'll be seeing a number of you next month at the RDAP Summit, but I
have a question for which I hope some of you have insight.

We are seeking to establish a "standard" deposit agreement to be executed
with Rutgers (i.e., internal) researchers who are working with us to
deposit data in our RUcore institutional repository.  So far, during the
initial development of the repository, the process has been quite informal
- we've been happy to have faculty be interested in working with us!

Now as we are approaching more of a formal service model, the question has
come up about verifying our legal/copyright rights to deposit and share
the research data from faculty.

At the request of our copyright librarian, I am attempting to collect a
sample of the agreements that others have developed, to get a sense of the
level of detail requested by others blazing this path.  We are trying to
determine how much we should rely on the researcher to affirm that "all is
legitimate" or whether we ought to be doing our own investigation or
validation of the ownership claims for the data.  While we are initially
concerned about Rutgers faculty, the issue of grant-funded projects
encompassing researchers from other institutions will be an issue as well.
(Note that we're not considering privacy/IRB issues with this question.)

If you have an agreement that you are comfortable with, I'd appreciate
being able to take a look, whether in a document or a web page.

Please feel free to respond to me directly - if there's interest, I could
collect and report back either on the list or at the RDAP meeting.

Thanks in advance,

Aletia

Aletia Morgan
Research Data Manager
Rutgers University
114 Alexander Library - 169 College Avenue
New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901

aletia.morgan at rutgers.edu
848-932-6099