[Rdap] NOW AVAILABLE: VIVO Release 1.7

Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at fedora-commons.org
Wed Jul 2 10:48:40 EDT 2014

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

July 2, 2014
Contact: Layne Johnson <ljohnson at duraspace.org>
Read it online: http://bit.ly/1sXbXHE

*VIVO Release 1.7 is Now Available!*
*Key Features Include Enhanced ORCID Functionality and Simplified Data
Handling*

*Winchester, MA*  The VIVO Project is pleased to announce the release of
VIVO 1.7.  The software can be installed by downloading either a zip or
tar.gz file located on the download page <http://vivoweb.org/download> at
VIVOweb.org <http://vivoweb.org/> and deploying it to your web server for
production use. Installation Instructions
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/rest/scroll-pdf/1.0/sync-export?exportSchemeId=VIVO-7F0000010143B67C67562AA42EE4DE24&rootPageId=59606457>
and
an Upgrade Guide v1.6 to 1.7
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/rest/scroll-pdf/1.0/sync-export?exportSchemeId=VIVO-7F0000010143B67C67562AA42EE4DE24&rootPageId=59606211>
are
also available. VIVO is a DuraSpace project.

The VIVO 1.7 release combines new features with improvements to existing
features and services and continues to leverage the VIVO-Integrated
Semantic Framework (VIVO-ISF) ontology introduced in VIVO 1.6.  No data
migration or changes to local data ingest procedures, visualization, or
analysis tools drawing directly on VIVO data will be required to upgrade to
VIVO 1.7.

VIVO 1.7 notably includes the results of an ORCID Adoption and Integration
Grant
<http://orcid.org/blog/2013/09/27/announcing-orcid-adoption-integration-program-awardees>
support the creation and verification of ORCID iDs. VIVO now offers the
opportunity for a researcher to add and/or confirm his or her global,
unique researcher identifier directly with ORCID <http://orcid.org/> without
the necessity of applying through other channels and re-typing the 16-digit
ORCID identifier.  We anticipate that this facility will help promote ORCID
iDs more widely and expand adoption for the benefit of the entire research
community.

VIVO 1.7 also incorporates several updates to key software libraries in
VIVO, including the Apache Jena libraries that provide the default VIVO
triple store from Jena 2.6.4 to Jena 2.10.1.  This Jena upgrade does
require existing VIVO sites to run an automated migration procedure for
user accounts prior to upgrading VIVO itself.

The Apache Solr search library used by VIVO has been updated to Solr 4.7.2
and the programming interface to Solr has been modularized to allow
substitution of alternative search indexing libraries to benefit from
specific desired features.

The SPARQL web services introduced in VIVO 1.6 have been extended to
support full read-write capability and content negotiation through a single
interface. The ability to export or "dump" the entire VIVO knowledge base
for analysis by external tools has also been improved to scale better with
triple store size, as has the ability to request lists of RDF by type to
facilitate linked data applications.

The VIVO 1.7 release also reflects feedback from the VIVO Leadership Group
requesting a predictable pattern of one minor release and one major release
each year. We anticipate releases in late spring/early summer and again in
late fall to help adopters plan for release schedules and new features, and
anticipate any changes that may affect local data ingest processes,
visualizations, reporting, and/or data analysis.

*Learn More at the VIVO Conference*

There’s still time to register for the upcoming VIVO Conference that will
be held in Austin, TX August 6-8, 2014. The program is designed to help you
harness the full potential of research networking, discovery, and open
research.

•* Program available here
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/file_uploads/bd57bfa13f3bae126c52a4d4ac5ef9c3_VIVOConferenceProgram5-Jun-14.pdf>*
•* Register here <https://www.etouches.com/ehome/80403/register/>*

*How Does DuraSpace Help?*

VIVO is a DuraSpace project. The DuraSpace (http://duraspace.org)
organization is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit providing
leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable,
persistent access and discovery of digital data. Our values are expressed
in our organizational byline, "Committed to our digital future."

DuraSpace works collaboratively with organizations that use VIVO to advance
the design, development and sustainability of the project. As a non-profit,
DuraSpace provides technical leadership, sustainability planning,
fundraising, community development, marketing and communications,
collaborations and strategic partnerships, and administration.

--
Carol Minton Morris
DuraSpace