[Rdap] CALL FOR AUTHORS: The SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data

Zoe Andrews bigdata at golsonmedia.com
Thu Jul 17 11:04:53 EDT 2014

CFA: The SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data

Hello,

We are inviting academic contributors to the SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data,
a multivolume reference work to be published by SAGE Reference in 2016.

As a phenomenon and discipline developed only in the past several years,
Big Data can be described as the collection, manipulation, and analysis of
massive amounts of data—and the decisions made from that analysis.
According to the *New York Times*, Big Data “is the shorthand label for the
phenomenon, which embraces technology, decision-making and public policy….
First, it is a bundle of technologies. Second, it is a potential revolution
in measurement. And third, it is a point of view, or philosophy, about how
decisions will be—and perhaps should be—made in the future.” Moreover, Big
Data is affecting and will affect almost all fields of study, from
criminology to philosophy, business, government, transportation, energy,
genetics, medicine, physics, and more.

As we tackle Big Data in this proposed encyclopedia, we objectively report
on the negative effects of loss of privacy, surveillance, and possible
misuse of data in trade-offs for security. On the other hand, it is Big
Data that is helping us to peer into the human genome for invaluable
medical insights, or to reach deep across the universe, discovering planets
much like our own. Our mission with this encyclopedia is to capture the Big
Data phenomenon and make it accessible to students examining the philosophy
of decision-making; exploring the measurement revolution; studying the
technology; and considering the potential, both for good and ill.

The encyclopedia features approximately 850 entries organized A-Z across
multiple volumes. The encyclopedia will be available in a choice of
electronic or print formats. Each 1,000- to 4,000-word article will be
signed by the contributor. The General Editors, who will be reviewing each
submission to the project, are Drs. Laurie A. Schintler and Connie L.
McNeely, George Mason University.

We are currently making assignments with a deadline of September 1, 2014.

If you are interested in contributing to this cutting-edge reference, it is
a unique opportunity to contribute to the contemporary literature,
redefining sociological issues in today’s terms. Moreover, it can be a
notable publication addition to your CV/resume and broaden your publishing
credits. SAGE Publications offers an honorarium ranging from SAGE book
credits for smaller articles up to a free set of the printed product for
contributions totaling 10,000 words or more.

The list of available articles is already prepared, and as a next step we
will e-mail you the Article List (Excel file) from which you can select
topics that best fit your expertise and interests. Additionally, Style and
Submission Guidelines and a sample article will be provided that detail
article specifications.

If you would like to contribute to building a truly outstanding reference
with *The SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data*, please contact me by the e-mail
information below. Please provide your CV or a brief summary of your
academic/publishing credentials in related disciplines.

Thank you very much,

Zoe Andrews, Author Manager

*bigdata at golsonmedia.com <bigdata at golsonmedia.com>*

--