[Rdap] NSF open access announcement

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 18 22:08:47 EDT 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015, Daureen Nesdill wrote:

> Hi,
> The announcement talks about access to publications resulting from research funded by NSF. Goes into effect Jan 2016.
> No changes with data management - yet.
> http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/public_access/index.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_51

Daureen,

Thanks.

They do mention data in the PDF version of their report, but they also
talk about how there's still work to be done:

 	page 16, http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15052/nsf15052.pdf

         Over the next three years, NSF will consult with the community and
         with other Federal agencies and facilitate the establishment of
         standards for metadata and repository systems. NSF understands
         that issues of description and access as well as cost, use, and
         preservation are all elements of these discussions.  Possible
         investments include:

         * Workshop and pilot activities on data archiving by journals and
           institutional and disciplinary repositories, including
           developing best practices and procedures for identifying and
           providing attribution; preserving a balance between long-term
           preservation and costs, providing access, and managing and
           deaccessioning data, and the associated costs;
         * Workshops and pilot activities on standards development,
           networking, and linkage activities associated with data and data
           repositories;
         * Pilots in data infrastructure and sustainable operation; and
         * Challenge or prize competition(s) to promote development of
           persistent identifier approaches and evaluation of their
           utility.

Now I guess I just have to wait for NASA to see what policies they come up
with that would affect my job.  (the issues of a lack of dedicated funding
for data systems, and issues with funding for 'Phase E' in general came
up on a telecon today)

-Joe