[Rdap] DataONE Webinar Registration Open: Provenance and DataONE - Facilitating Reproducible Science

Stephanie Wright swright at uw.edu
Mon May 4 12:26:58 EDT 2015

Apologies for cross-posting...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amber E Budden <aebudden at dataone.unm.edu>
Date: Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Subject: [team] DataONE Webinar Registration Open

Dear DataONE Community

The last webinar until our Fall season " Provenance and DataONE:
Facilitating Reproducible Science" is now open for registration.

*Tuesday May 12th9 am Pacific / 10 am Mountain / 11am Central / 12 noon
Eastern*

Please go to https://www.dataone.org/upcoming-webinar for full details
(abstract below)

*Provenance and DataONE: Facilitating Reproducible Science*
Bertram Ludäscher, Chris Jones, Lauren Walker

Provenance is a form of metadata that describes the lineage and processing
history of data and knowledge artifacts and plays an important role in many
scientific applications and use cases. For example, an ecologist might want
to combine different datasets for a study, but needs to know how the
candidate datasets were derived. A climate scientist might need to document
the processing history of climate model outputs to facilitate
reproducibility. A natural history collection manager might want to run
automated data curation tools on specimen collection data, but has to
understand the proposed “repairs” before executing them. In all these and
many other cases like these, provenance information plays a crucial role.
In this webinar, we will first give an overview of the different types of
provenance information and how they can be used, e.g., to facilitate
reproducible science.
We will show how a DataONE user can search and navigate provenance
information using the new UI currently under development in DataONE. After
this user-oriented view on provenance, we finally take a look “behind the
scenes” of the DataONE provenance technologies and present plans for future
developments.

--
Amber E Budden, PhD
Director for Community Engagement and Outreach

Tel: 505-814-1112
Cell: 505-205-7675
Fax: 505-246-6007