[Rdap] Mendeley Data

Daureen Nesdill daureen.nesdill at utah.edu
Wed Nov 18 12:15:41 EST 2015

Anybody know anything about Mendeley Data?

Jeffrey Beall sent this email to another listserv:
From: <scholcomm-request at lists.ala.org<mailto:scholcomm-request at lists.ala.org>> on behalf of Jeffrey Beall
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 8:37 AM
To: SCHOLCOMM
Subject: RE: [SCHOLCOMM] Question on Institutional Repositories and Storing Research Data

I'd like to alert academic librarians to Mendeley Data. It's a new service that may make institutional repositories obsolete, at least as far as data is concerned. It's an open-access research-data repository that is free to users and free to submitters, and it will even mint DOIs for deposited datasets. The URL is https://data.mendeley.com/ The service recently moved from its alpha to its beta release.

Given the onerous budget constraints that libraries are facing, here's a way they can save money by not devoting resources - staff time and repository infrastructure - to creating and maintaining services that are available for free. Because of open-access, I expect this disintermediation of academic libraries to continue and expand, and even institutional repositories themselves may also become obsolete.

Jeffrey Beall, MA, MSLS, Associate Professor
Scholarly Communications Librarian
Auraria Library
University of Colorado Denver
1100 Lawrence St.