[Rdap] Security/Storage Systems - DMP Language

Jonathan Petters jpetters at vt.edu
Tue Oct 11 11:06:40 EDT 2016

Jennifer,

My two cents...

If this is a DMP for a research proposal, I imagine that you don't need to
have much specific detail about security and back-up.  Most funder-specific
DMPs have more of a 'What data are you going to share and how' focus...

My impression is that proposal reviewers would mostly be interested the
researcher affirming they are taking the necessary steps to secure their
research data from loss, theft, or confidentiality breaches, and who's
responsible for such actions.  Thus, stating that they are storing their
data on 'university-administered servers' that backup the data regularly
and use some general form of authentication would be fine.  No doubt the
researcher is responsible for some security (e.g. storing a codebook
separately from the human-subject data), and these actions should be
written as well.  But I imagine this could all be written in a way where
your IT security folks wouldn't be afraid that too much information is
being shared publicly.

On the other hand, a detailed DMP for a research project to make sure that
specific actions are taken care of appropriately by each responsible party
(IT, researcher, IRB) and for which system/OS/dataset etc. would be a real
helpful document, woudn't it?!  That could be just shared internally
though, and not for public consumption.

Interested in hearing others' thoughts, it's a great question :)

Jon

--
Jonathan Petters Ph.D.
Data Management Consultant