[Rdap] CrossRef or Other DOIs for Data Sets

Hutchinson, Alvin HUTCHINSONA at si.edu
Tue Sep 13 14:57:42 EDT 2016

Does anyone feel strongly about using (or not using) a certain flavor of DOI for research data sets?

We are the CrossRef registration agency for the Smithsonian and we’ve been doing publications for years but lately have been approached by scientists who want a DOI both for link permanence and citability.

Would anyone recommend against using CrossRef in favor of another DOI type? And if so, which one(s)?

Please pardon my ignorance and let me know if there’s something obvious I am missing.

Thanks,

Alvin

Alvin Hutchinson
Smithsonian Libraries