[Rdap] CrossRef or Other DOIs for Data Sets

Sebastian Karcher skarcher at maxwell.syr.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:16:25 EDT 2016

I'm curious what other people say, but my sense is that using CrossRef for Data is fine depending on the (meta)data.

It is more common to use DataCite DOIs for data and the biggest advantage would be that the DataCite XML schema can hold richer and more meaningful metadata for data than CrossRef's UnixRef. (There are also differences in the cost structure, which DataCite basically using a flat fee structure and CrossRef charging per DOI).

Whether that's worth it depends on the quality of the metadata curated for the and budget constraints if you're already a CrossRef member: it is definitely _hugely_ more important to assign a DOI to a dataset at all than which RA issues it.

Hth,

Sebastian